posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Default Windlass Wiring Question

Larry wrote:
Don Mahony wrote in
:

Have you or anyone else
actually used this wire in this application?

Shhhh! Geez, don't tell 'em! I'll never hear the end of it!

......er, ah......well, yes.......

Radio Shack has the nicest #8 "speaker wire", a parallel pair giant
zipcord of clear plastic (so you can SEE if the damned conductors inside
are turning GREEN from the water intrusion eating them or not) with
finely stranded, very flexible conductors I've never been able to break
by flexing. $1/foot out of the box at the Shack....One of the conductors
has a red line down one of the conductors. That one's positive, here.

Shhhh....after replacing the "marine grade" cables for the 2nd time going
to the bilge pumps, I used this bigger wire because it was so cheap and I
was in a hurry. Sealed the ends, including the ring terminals with a
little blob of grease to keep the bilge humidity out. The conductors
inside the clear plastic still look NEW!....(c;

Shhh....my whole STEPVAN is rewired with car stereo speaker wire, even
the diesel starter cable! That stiff battery cable crap breaks the #14
solid strands after a while...but not car stereo cable you can fold in
half with no damage. Famous last words, "It'll crank a truck!"...(c;

If it'll conduct 10KW of bass audio at 8 ohms...it'll run the windlass!

You can get genuine marine battery cable
with UL, USCG, ABYC, etc. compliances
for $1.48/foot he

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/gen...GIM-WUL4RD-/FT
Genuinedealz.com - The Internet Bazaar
GIM-WUL4RD-/FT: 4 AWG Marine Tinned
Battery Cable Boat Wire RED /ft

If you're going to go with #8 duplex,
that's $1.45/foot.

I've never dealt with them so caveat emptor.

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Don Mahony

Thanks Chuck.

This looks like a good deal to check out.

Don

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:32:13 -0400, chuck wrote:

Larry wrote:
Don Mahony wrote in
:

[...]

Tapio Sokura

Don Mahony wrote:
The batteries are on the port side down in the engine compartment. To
come from there to where the breaker and control relay is located is
15 feet. From the breaker I have to go back down to the bottom of the
boat and gradually up to the bow where the windlass is located. :-(

Have you thought about running just a relay control cable between the
control panel and the windlass power cable near the battery? So you'd
have the controls up and the actual relay would be down there in the
path of the windlass power cable. The relay control cables would carry a
current of under one amp, so they can be something like 18 AWG. But in
this case you should have a circuit breaker "down there" for the
windlass as it bypasses the circuit breaker you mentioned. Maybe this
arrangement is not worth the trouble.

Btw, there's a nice voltage drop calculator for figuring out what cable
size to use at http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm , below the
cable size table.

Tapio
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Tapio Sokura wrote in news:nTqmg.7846$9l4.4042
@reader1.news.jippii.net:

Have you thought about running just a relay control cable between the
control panel and the windlass power cable near the battery? So you'd
have the controls up and the actual relay would be down there in the
path of the windlass power cable. The relay control cables would carry

current of under one amp, so they can be something like 18 AWG. But in
this case you should have a circuit breaker "down there" for the
windlass as it bypasses the circuit breaker you mentioned. Maybe this
arrangement is not worth the trouble.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tapio. You can buy 12V contactors, starter
solenoids from any auto parts store. They are completely sealed and
explosion proof as they are used in engine compartments of Ford
Exploders. S/V Lionheart uses one, rated at 200A I think, for the master
electronics power bus contactor. A continuous-duty contactor switches
off a separate power bus that all our electronics is connected to, except
the emergency secondary Icom M59 VHF, because my captain can't remember
to shut everything down. Now he doesn't have to, just push in the push-
pull switch next to the big red light staring him in the face. That
works great!

"Lionheart" had electric roller furling for its headsail when it was new,
but the sea, of course, soon consumed the furler in the spray. Up in the
portside cabinet in the V-berth were 3 contactors like this hooked to a
12V bus back to the main breaker panel. Her anchor winch only went one
way. You released the clutch to pay out the all-chain rode. During
taking it apart for maintenance, I noticed the local footswitch, SPST,
had extra wires to the drive motor that went nowhere. Experimenting with
them, I found the motor had forward and reverse windings! So, I wired
the motor to the furler's existing contactors, and left the original one-
way up switch on the winch's case hooked up, too. Now, you can pay out
more rode or wind it in by moving the old furler's control switch on-off-
on back in the center cockpit (half naked in the middle of the night when
a storm unexpectedly rears its ugly head, for instance...(c No more
clamoring around in the dark in your underwear cursing the clutch release
toggle that's stuck because of the rode's pressure jerking on it in the
waves. Just press the button...(c;

Don't route the windlass' heavy cable to your control point. Those
starter contactors are all sealed and will last your lifetime doing it
remotely with a tiny switch switching the coils.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:40:55 -0400, Larry wrote:

Now, you can pay out
more rode or wind it in by moving the old furler's control switch on-off-
on back in the center cockpit (half naked in the middle of the night when
a storm unexpectedly rears its ugly head, for instance.

That's convenient for sure, but you should *really* use a hook line on
the anchor chain to off load the strain on the windlass when anchored.
The windlass bearings and seals are not designed to withstand cyclic
and/or shock loads, and will fail prematurely if exposed to that kind
of wear and tear.

Don't ask me how I know. :-)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Wayne.B wrote in
:

That's convenient for sure, but you should *really* use a hook line on
the anchor chain to off load the strain on the windlass when anchored.
The windlass bearings and seals are not designed to withstand cyclic
and/or shock loads, and will fail prematurely if exposed to that kind
of wear and tear.

You're absolutely right, of course. It depends on the anchorage. If it's
just tide flow up a creek, naw. This anchor windlass is a monster on the
Amel. I think it could tow the boat out of the mud if there were something
to hook the chain to..

Don't ask me how I know. :-)

Everyone here has experiences you'll never hear a word about....(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Capt John

Don Mahony wrote:
I am installing a Lewmar Horizon 600/900 horizontal windlass on a 27
foot power boat. The users manual says to use #4 AWG marine grade wire
from the battery to the solenoid to the breaker to the windlass and
back to the battery. The wire leads on the windlass are #10 AWG.

I know the concern here is with voltage drop to the motor but the cost
of the #4 wire is huge. Rather than following the general guidlines in
the manual does anyone have a better way of calculating exactly what
gauge wire would be needed for this installation?

The total run from the battery to the windlass and return is 72 feet.

Don

Don,

The #4 sounds like over kill, and you wire run is not back and forth,
it's from point A to point B. My old boat was 27 feet, my power winch
called for #6, much cheaper than #4. It worked perfect, that winch is
being used occasionally, not constantly. If it were being used for
extended periods of time the larger wire would be justified.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

"Capt John" wrote

The #4 sounds like over kill, and you wire run is not back and forth,
it's from point A to point B. My old boat was 27 feet, my power winch
called for #6, much cheaper than #4. It worked perfect, that winch is
being used occasionally, not constantly. If it were being used for
extended periods of time the larger wire would be justified.

I beg to differ. When calculating wire size from amperage it is ALWAYS the
total run out and back to the source to get the total resistance.

A 600 watt windlass is going to draw 50 amps at full rated load. #4 wire
has a resistance of .000253 ohms/foot so 72' will have a resistance of
about .01822 ohms. By Ohms law A*R=V so 50*.01822 = .93 volt. or about 8%
loss. About the most you want to loose.

#6 has a resistance of .000403ohms/foot or .029 ohms over 72' which will
drop the voltage by about 1.5 volts. Net result is you don't get all the
power that the winch needs and the motor will overheat and possibly burn out
a winding.

The only way to use smaller wire is to use less of it. Cut the run to 30'
out and back and you can use #6. Best thing to do is mount the solenoid
right by the windlass and run the wire directly from the battery to the
solenoid. Then put the control switch where ever you want. The control
lines don't carry much current.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wiring question [email protected] Electronics 1 May 3rd 06 04:02 PM
wiring joint question RB Electronics 14 April 13th 06 02:14 AM
Inverter Wiring Question Hoo Electronics 8 November 16th 05 02:13 PM
Inverter Wiring Question Hoo General 7 November 16th 05 06:23 AM
Inverter Wiring Question Hoo Boat Building 7 November 16th 05 06:23 AM