posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default 60hz/50hz HELP!!

hi all..
iam stuck in a gruesome situation..have placed orders for some heavy
duty wood working machinery from US.Most of these involve 3ph,220v,60hz
motors but i need to operate them at 220v,3ph,50hz supply.
can anyone please advice me on what will happen to the production(
efficiency wise.) in this case.
eagerly waiting for ur help..
thnks a ton.
sam.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

60hz motors are going to run slower on 50Hz and produce about 17% less power
which is going to effect performance of things like planers and shapers. If
you try to maintain 60hz production speeds your cuts will not be as clean
and the motor is likely to over heat. Unless you are buying used equipment
ask the vendor to ship with 50HZ motors. Most of the major machine makers
will do it at no charge.

Another alternative would be to have the motors removed prior to shipping
and buy replacement 50hz motors locally.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
hi all..
iam stuck in a gruesome situation..have placed orders for some heavy
duty wood working machinery from US.Most of these involve 3ph,220v,60hz
motors but i need to operate them at 220v,3ph,50hz supply.
can anyone please advice me on what will happen to the production(
efficiency wise.) in this case.
eagerly waiting for ur help..
thnks a ton.
sam.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Sam,
I have several 60 Hz 3 Ph motors running on 50 Hz, but they are wired for
440 volts not 208. As Glenn stated they will run slower, but make less hp
although power loss is not noticable to me. Secondly, none of these motors
overheat because the voltage is lower in the EU than in the States 380/400
in the EU and 440/480 in the states. That means that even though the
inductive reactance is lower at 50 Hz, indicating a higher current, because
the supply voltage is also lower, the motors will not over current and heat.
This is not true for single phase, induction motors as the intended design
voltage is similar, so the lower reactance will cause overheating. I am
running a 15Hp, a 10Hp and a 5 Hp without problems.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
hi all..
iam stuck in a gruesome situation..have placed orders for some heavy
duty wood working machinery from US.Most of these involve 3ph,220v,60hz
motors but i need to operate them at 220v,3ph,50hz supply.
can anyone please advice me on what will happen to the production(
efficiency wise.) in this case.
eagerly waiting for ur help..
thnks a ton.
sam.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi steve..
Thanks for the prompt advice.i'll be checking out with the manufacturer
for the concerns..but in my case it would just be a change from 60hz
to 50hz with the operating voltage remaining the same i.e. 220v
i would be installing these in india.Where the supply is 220v,50hz.
i would also be using similar kind of motors.(15,10 hp).Do think
overheating will not be significant in my case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Hi,
When someone says that your power is 220, 50Hz, they are referring to one
power leg measured to nuetral. In the US that voltage is 120. In Europe, it
is 220. With 3 phase power, you have 3 power lines, each being 120 degrees
out of phase from each other. So, when measuring the voltage Phase to Phase,
you have 208 in the US and 380 in Europe. In the US industrial areas where 3
Phase power is available, it is possible to obtain 208 and 440 commonly and
other higher voltages upon request like 880. The same is also possible in
Europe in industrial areas. The power in India is modelled after Europe
(UK). So, in summation, if you have 220, 50 Hz, you also have 380/400 3
Phase power. Now, in the US, most 208, 3 Phase motors are also 440. They are
changed by simply rearranging the 12 wires within the motor.

It is clear you are confused. There is no such thing as 220, 3phase power
anywhere. In the states it is 208, 440 or 880 measured phase to phase. In
India, it is 380/400, 660/740 and higher. No changes need to be performed
other than wiring them internally for 440. Upon arrival, apply 380/400 and
they will work fine.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi steve..
Thanks for the prompt advice.i'll be checking out with the manufacturer
for the concerns..but in my case it would just be a change from 60hz
to 50hz with the operating voltage remaining the same i.e. 220v
i would be installing these in india.Where the supply is 220v,50hz.
i would also be using similar kind of motors.(15,10 hp).Do think
overheating will not be significant in my case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

According to this site:
http://www.sensorcentral.com/worldsu...tandards12.php if the OP is in
India his choices are 1ph 230 or 3ph is 240/415V.

--

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi steve..
Thanks for the prompt advice.i'll be checking out with the manufacturer
for the concerns..but in my case it would just be a change from 60hz
to 50hz with the operating voltage remaining the same i.e. 220v
i would be installing these in india.Where the supply is 220v,50hz.
i would also be using similar kind of motors.(15,10 hp).Do think
overheating will not be significant in my case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Glenn,
Thanks for the info. It makes sense, as the electric power grid in India is
modelled after the UK. Over the past 10 years or so, there has been an
effort to normalize the power difference across the EU. Prior to this effort
the leg power in the UK was 240 and on the continent 220. Over the past 10
years the power in both has gradually been balanced at 230 Volts per leg for
compatability reasons. This may not have happened in India yet.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi steve..
Thanks for the prompt advice.i'll be checking out with the manufacturer
for the concerns..but in my case it would just be a change from 60hz
to 50hz with the operating voltage remaining the same i.e. 220v
i would be installing these in india.Where the supply is 220v,50hz.
i would also be using similar kind of motors.(15,10 hp).Do think
overheating will not be significant in my case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

thanks a ton guys for all the valuable information and advice. Iam
getting in touch with the manufacturer.Will get back to you once i talk
to him on all the aspects you guys have pointed out.
regards,
sam