posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Default 60hz/50hz HELP!!

Sam,
I have several 60 Hz 3 Ph motors running on 50 Hz, but they are wired for
440 volts not 208. As Glenn stated they will run slower, but make less hp
although power loss is not noticable to me. Secondly, none of these motors
overheat because the voltage is lower in the EU than in the States 380/400
in the EU and 440/480 in the states. That means that even though the
inductive reactance is lower at 50 Hz, indicating a higher current, because
the supply voltage is also lower, the motors will not over current and heat.
This is not true for single phase, induction motors as the intended design
voltage is similar, so the lower reactance will cause overheating. I am
running a 15Hp, a 10Hp and a 5 Hp without problems.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
hi all..
iam stuck in a gruesome situation..have placed orders for some heavy
duty wood working machinery from US.Most of these involve 3ph,220v,60hz
motors but i need to operate them at 220v,3ph,50hz supply.
can anyone please advice me on what will happen to the production(
efficiency wise.) in this case.
eagerly waiting for ur help..
thnks a ton.
sam.