posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dave

Default SSB Receive antenna only!

Looking for a WHIP or small Discone receive antenna that covers the 2-30Mhz
range for my SSB Icom M802. This will be used for the DSC Receiver
functions. I would like something small and retractrable/foldable! NO- Long
Wires!

Dave new to SSB!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Dave wrote:
Looking for a WHIP or small Discone receive antenna that covers the 2-30Mhz
range for my SSB Icom M802. This will be used for the DSC Receiver
functions. I would like something small and retractrable/foldable! NO- Long
Wires!

Dave new to SSB!

A conventional whip will not make a particularly good antenna,
especially at the lower frequencies. A discone for 2-30 MHz would be
larger than your boat (probably).

Consider a roll of insulated hookup wire, of any size. It is cheap,
exactly the size you're willing to accept, and is "retractable".

If you're willing to spend money, you might consider an active whip
antenna. But try the roll of hookup wire first.

Good luck, and have fun with SSB!

Chuck
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Looking for a WHIP or small Discone receive antenna that covers the

2-30Mhz
range for my SSB Icom M802. This will be used for the DSC Receiver
functions. I would like something small and retractrable/foldable! NO-

Long
Wires!

Dave new to SSB!

One of the shortcomings of a really short wire for an antenna is that
it will no doubt be very close to all the electrical noise making machinery
and electronics on the boat. One way to keep the antenna small (although
needing a longer coax feedline) is to use an active antenna (with short
"e-probe" whip) or a somewhat similar non-powered antenna like the Metz:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ecr201.html

This is definitely not the end all of HF receiving antennas, but gives
some hope of getting further away from the electrical noises that plague
modern pilot houses and/or chart tables. If you don't have a pretty clear
signal, decoding DSC has it's problems.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Dave" wrote in
m:

Looking for a WHIP or small Discone receive antenna that covers the
2-30Mhz range for my SSB Icom M802. This will be used for the DSC
Receiver functions. I would like something small and
retractrable/foldable! NO- Long Wires!

Dave new to SSB!

Dave, do any of the metal handrail stancion screws protrude into a cabinet
near the M802 you can connect to? I'm using the all-metal handrail and its
hardware for the M802 DSC receive antenna on "Lionheart", an Amel Sharki
ketch, with good results....try it first for free.