posted to rec.boats.electronics
feetwet

Default Charing of Deep Cycle trolling batteries.

I'm hearing mixed reviews about deep cycle batts. Should you keep it
charged all the time or let it run down before charging (i.e. memory
effect). After a few hours of trolling my batt still shows at least
70-75% full.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"feetwet" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm hearing mixed reviews about deep cycle batts. Should you keep it
charged all the time or let it run down before charging (i.e. memory
effect). After a few hours of trolling my batt still shows at least
70-75% full.

Lead acid batteries have no "memory effect". There is even a lot of debate
as to whether or not NiCd batteries really suffer from memory effect.

The basic rule with lead acid batteries is that you do not discharge them
more than 50% before recharging them. The 50% level is represented by a
specific voltage, something like 12.4 volts, don't remember for certain.
I'm sure you can find this on the net. In the meantime if you keep them on
a charger at 13.2 volts they will stay fresh.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Gordon Wedman wrote:
"feetwet" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm hearing mixed reviews about deep cycle batts. Should you keep it
charged all the time or let it run down before charging (i.e. memory
effect). After a few hours of trolling my batt still shows at least
70-75% full.

Lead acid batteries have no "memory effect". There is even a lot of debate
as to whether or not NiCd batteries really suffer from memory effect.

The basic rule with lead acid batteries is that you do not discharge them
more than 50% before recharging them. The 50% level is represented by a
specific voltage, something like 12.4 volts, don't remember for certain.
I'm sure you can find this on the net. In the meantime if you keep them on
a charger at 13.2 volts they will stay fresh.

In addition, these batteries suffer from frequent deep discharges, even
to 50%, if their sales literature is accurate. In other words. the more
you discharge and recharge, the shorter the life. A single, really deep
discharge can damage even a deep cycle battery.

So you not only want to limit the depth of discharge, but ideally you
want to recharge as soon after the discharge as possible (i.e., not
months or weeks after if you can avoid it.).

Good luck.

Chuck
posted to rec.boats.electronics
GregS

In article PCw4g.5227$Cv1.1512@edtnps82, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:

"feetwet" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm hearing mixed reviews about deep cycle batts. Should you keep it
charged all the time or let it run down before charging (i.e. memory
effect). After a few hours of trolling my batt still shows at least
70-75% full.

I think the charging scenereo is pretty much known. Discharging or
letting it run down seems like it would help equalize cells, but I may be wrong.
Too much discharge results in big problems. Over charging before use will
extend use by a small degree. A trickel charge of not more than 10 ma. will
minimize bubbling if trickel charging is desired.

Lead acid batteries have no "memory effect". There is even a lot of debate
as to whether or not NiCd batteries really suffer from memory effect.

There is no debate with NiCd's. But, the memory effect most commonly discussed
is not memory effect. That results from charging improperly, ie constant
charge. It results in less holding capability. I really see problems also
with NiMH.