posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

Default lead free solder, help ...

i'm curious if anyone can recommend a good lead free solder to use in
basic electronics. i've been doing a lot of soldering lately, and ...
well, if i can avoid lead, why not ? i'm just looking for a basic
replacement for my 0.32 diameter 60/40 solder from radio shack, a light
duty rosin-core type solder. thanks in advance!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"purple_stars" wrote in
oups.com:

i'm curious if anyone can recommend a good lead free solder to use in
basic electronics. i've been doing a lot of soldering lately, and ...
well, if i can avoid lead, why not ? i'm just looking for a basic
replacement for my 0.32 diameter 60/40 solder from radio shack, a light
duty rosin-core type solder. thanks in advance!

Can I have all those rolls of 60/40 solder you don't want any more? I'll
be happy to pay the shipping? How many rolls you gots?!

Every hamfest I go to, one of my priority searches through the junk piles
is for good, lead-based, rosin core solder. I collect it. The greenies
have done me a wonderful service by convincing those that have it to
dispose of it cheap.

Just like that other thing my daddy warned me about that would make me go
blind when I was 12, I'll use lead solder until I need glasses....(c;

I'm 60...been using lead solder since I was 10...50 years...no ill
effects except a few burned fingers....

Poor kids today....No chemistry set you could combine with mom's cleaning
chemicals from the bathroom to blow the windows out of your room or kill
your pets with the phosgene gas....No 3000 degree woodburning set with
the 3' power cord to make sure you don't get far from the explosive
window drapes...No sharp metal objects in toys. What fun is childhood
any more? No wonder they're all doing drugs!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

hahaha ... the kids don't have any fireworks either, or halloween
candy, and some kids aren't even allowed to go to the little carnivals
that come through town because the rides are dangerous ...

thanks for bringing me back to reality larry, i think i'll go ahead and
keep using the 60/40 rosin-core solder haha

posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

On 2006-04-15 17:29:52 +1000, "purple_stars" said:

i'm curious if anyone can recommend a good lead free solder to use in
basic electronics. i've been doing a lot of soldering lately, and ...
well, if i can avoid lead, why not ? i'm just looking for a basic
replacement for my 0.32 diameter 60/40 solder from radio shack, a light
duty rosin-core type solder. thanks in advance!

Don't be so quick to get rid of your old solder. There are a couple of
gotchyas:

1. Can't mix non-lead solder with leaded solder (board repairs on
existing equipment)
2. Lead free melts at a slightly higher temp so you need a hotter iron
(or adjustable)
3. Lead free is a requirement which is coming in on new equipment (old
stuff gradfathered;-))

I've been soldering for over 40 years and it hasn't affected me yet (as
far as I know)!

--
Regards,
John D Proctor