posted to rec.boats.electronics
Capt. Hiptow

Default Laptop GPS

I am looking for a wireless GPS receiver to hook up to my laptop to
work with my navigation software (Nobeltec). Surfing the Internet, I
have located Bluetoot types and USB types. Checked mightygps.com -
pcmcia, Holux GM 212, Altina GBT 708.
Have read the old postings, but wondering if anyone has had success
with a newer model of either variety. Would appreciate a
recommendation.
Thanx

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I've used the Holux with both Fugawi and Cap'n software with very good
results. The model I have has a non replaceable battery, so it came
with a bunch of charger options, an extenal antenna, and a utility
that tells which port the GPS is attached to and how many satellites
it sees. ( in the Northwest 7-8 is usual).

Two issues to look for. AFAIK, all Holux are Bluetooth, and I
sometimes struggle to get the bluetooth connection working properly.
The GPs has a sign-in code, and I often have trouble getting the
bluetooth and GPS to talk properly. Once working, and it is usually
just a matter of patience, the Holux has been flawless.

The other issue is that the bluetooth, unless native to your PC, will
have to be an add-on, and the sotware that I've used adds com ports
from 5 to 10. Many older versions of Nobeltec, and perhaps some
others only use com ports 1-4, so some remapping may be needed.

Gary

"Grasshopper"