posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default Raymarine S1 to S1G

My new boat comes with an ST 6001 Autopilot. I would like to get the
benefits of the AST feature and the gyro stabilized compass improving
my MARPA results

As close as I figure, there are two ways to do this.
a) Add the gyro stabalized compass to my existing ST 6001.
b) Replace my core-pack with an SG1 corepack.

My questions.
1) What is the difference, if any beween doing either of the above ?
2) Can I trade in my unused S1 corepack for an S1G core pack ?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"b393capt" wrote in message
ps.com...
My new boat comes with an ST 6001 Autopilot. I would like to get the
benefits of the AST feature and the gyro stabilized compass improving
my MARPA results

As close as I figure, there are two ways to do this.
a) Add the gyro stabalized compass to my existing ST 6001.
b) Replace my core-pack with an SG1 corepack.

My questions.
1) What is the difference, if any beween doing either of the above ?
2) Can I trade in my unused S1 corepack for an S1G core pack ?

Its always best to talk to the horse's mouth on technical issues like this
and I have found Raymarine USA to be pretty good at responding to emails.
Just go to their home page and sift your way through Customer Support until
you get to the "send us a question" page.

Having said that, I have been studying these systems a bit lately as I plan
to add a Raymarine below deck unit to my boat. As far as I know there would
be no performance difference between adding the gyro to your S1 corepack vs
replacing the corepack with an S1G. Unless you could get some credit for
returning the S1 it would be more expensive buying a new S1G than just the
gyro (although S1G corepacks turn up on eBay at good prices as compared to a
gyro which you likely will have to pay retail for. S1G still probably more
expensive.) I doubt a retailer or Raymarine would take back your used S1.
You could keep it as a spare and buy an S1G but buying the gyro would likely
be cheapest.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

is ST6001 the latest autopilot from Raymarine? What is MARPA?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

MARPA is a software feature in Radar / Chartplotters, that follows a
contact (you select), and reports it's direction and speed relative to
earth, along with it's closest point of approach (CPA) to your vessel.
Helps avoid radar assisted collisions.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"luc" wrote in news:1141579936.067100.225870
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

What is MARPA?

MARPA is a simple target tracker built into Raymarine's radar display
units...sorta like multiple targets and ranging. What you do is to click
on the target to put it into the MARPA target list, then the computer in
the display tracks its azimuth and range as you both move around. With
this simple information, you can see what the target is doing almost
immediately.

Oh, please, let's make AIS come QUICKER for everybody!.....MARPA sucks in
comparison...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Sucks is right. It is often confused, and alarms incesently.

Also ... it does not reduce the training requirements to use radar,
which are considerable. Radar is still one of those things, where you
need to know whats happening under the covers to interpret what the
display means.

AIS on the otherhand would be as easy to use as GPS, one would think.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article .com,
"b393capt" wrote:

Sucks is right. It is often confused, and alarms incesently.

Also ... it does not reduce the training requirements to use radar,
which are considerable. Radar is still one of those things, where you
need to know whats happening under the covers to interpret what the
display means.

that's why the USCG instituted the Radar Observer Endorsement on Masters
and Mates Licenses, years ago. To many vessel drivers didn't understand
the technology that they were using, and couldn't interpret the displays
information properly.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"luc" wrote in message
oups.com...
is ST6001 the latest autopilot from Raymarine? What is MARPA?

The 6001 and 7001 series control heads are the latest versions.
If you have a 6000 or 7000 I understand you can get the internal firmware
updated to make it a 6001 / 7001. This adds some "smarts" to the autopilot
system.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

It is just fustrating ... when inquiring minds want to know what the
image means, and there is no easy way to explain it without first going
into how the transmitter works, etc. Sometimes I am accused of
implying people are not smart enough to use it ... which of course
isn't the case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Raymarine tech support says "yes"

Subject
My new boat comes with an ST 6001 Autopilot. I would like to get the
benefits...

Discussion Thread
Response (Marc Beauvais) 03/06/2006 06:34 PM
1a) Is adding part # E12101 to an S1 corepack, identical to having an
S1G corepack ? Yes.....that simple

Customer (Dan Corcoran) 03/06/2006 01:08 PM
1a) Is adding part # E12101 to an S1 corepack, identical to having an
S1G corepack ?

1b) Raymarine web-site states "The new ST6001 and ST7001 Autopilot
control heads combined with the new G Series corepacks incorporate a
number of new enhancements including." Please confirm which features I
get when I upgrade the S1 Corepack by adding the "smart heading system.
Part# E12101". Answer Yes/No, or comment on each a thru k:
a) Improved steering performance
b) Current protection on Motor drive circuits
c) Built in gyro stabilizer
d) 10Hz NMEA Compass Output for feeding MARPA, Radar Overlay, etc.
e) Adaptive Steering Technology (AST)
f) Autolearn Setup procedure
g) Field Upgradeable Software (by dealer with PC and tools)
h) Dual redundant SeaTalk ports
i) Room for Add On expansion board for future technologies and NMEA
developments
j) Current limit on clutch and solenoid outputs
k) SeaTalk interfacing allows for easy interfacing and a virtually
unlimited number of repeater autopilot and instrument displays.

This will help drive my decision about adding the rate gyro, or
replacing the corepack

Thank you,
Dan