posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

Default Raymarine S1 to S1G

"b393capt" wrote in message
ps.com...
My new boat comes with an ST 6001 Autopilot. I would like to get the
benefits of the AST feature and the gyro stabilized compass improving
my MARPA results

As close as I figure, there are two ways to do this.
a) Add the gyro stabalized compass to my existing ST 6001.
b) Replace my core-pack with an SG1 corepack.

My questions.
1) What is the difference, if any beween doing either of the above ?
2) Can I trade in my unused S1 corepack for an S1G core pack ?

Its always best to talk to the horse's mouth on technical issues like this
and I have found Raymarine USA to be pretty good at responding to emails.
Just go to their home page and sift your way through Customer Support until
you get to the "send us a question" page.

Having said that, I have been studying these systems a bit lately as I plan
to add a Raymarine below deck unit to my boat. As far as I know there would
be no performance difference between adding the gyro to your S1 corepack vs
replacing the corepack with an S1G. Unless you could get some credit for
returning the S1 it would be more expensive buying a new S1G than just the
gyro (although S1G corepacks turn up on eBay at good prices as compared to a
gyro which you likely will have to pay retail for. S1G still probably more
expensive.) I doubt a retailer or Raymarine would take back your used S1.
You could keep it as a spare and buy an S1G but buying the gyro would likely
be cheapest.