posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

Default use aluminum toe rails as SSB ground?

Recently read a suggestion saying you could use aluminum toe rails and your
lifelines as part of your SSB radio grounding system. Just run foil from
the antenna tuner ground to the toe rail bolts?
Seems easy to do so I'm wondering if it really would improve your grounding
system.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Gordon, it depends on what the alternative might be. Reminds me of the
young boy who ran to his dad claiming that he just saved 50 cents by
walking home from school instead of taking the bus. The father responded
that he should have walked home from school instead of taking a taxi, in
which case he would have saved $15.

Anyway, the toe rails work with a little less trouble than the lifelines
since the connection can be made below decks. Yeah. Just run copper
foil from the tuner ground post to the bolts. You might do some
experimenting and attach the foil to a croc clip for a quick and dirty
experiment. You'll want to be scientific and have someone who can give
you a meaningful A/B signal report. If could find a ham willing to help,
that would make things easier.

Again, depending on what you're using now, you may notice relatively
little difference. The tuner is not likely to shout out its approval. I
would guess you'd see more of a difference on the lower frequencies.

Do you suspect your existing ground system is somehow wanting?

Good luck. And let us know your results.

Chuck

Gordon Wedman wrote:
Recently read a suggestion saying you could use aluminum toe rails and your
lifelines as part of your SSB radio grounding system. Just run foil from
the antenna tuner ground to the toe rail bolts?
Seems easy to do so I'm wondering if it really would improve your grounding
system.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

Recently read a suggestion saying you could use aluminum toe rails and
your
lifelines as part of your SSB radio grounding system. Just run foil from
the antenna tuner ground to the toe rail bolts?
Seems easy to do so I'm wondering if it really would improve your

grounding
system.

I've had good results using a toe rail counterpoise for HF SSB systems.
It is particularly useful of sailboats on which the metal loaded keel attach
bolts are either not used or non-existent. (the big lead or iron keel slug
being probably the best RF ground) There are a couple of thoughts here that
might be helpful:

1. The toe rail is usually more than one piece on each side of the vessel,
so those pieces, where they join, end to end, should be linked with a short
copper strap at each end's attach bolt (below decks, of course).

2. The attach bolts sometimes have enough 5200 sealant around them that they
make poor electrical contact with the toe rail itself. Be sure that there is
actually good electrical contact there (ohmmeter comes to mind).

3. Since each side of the toe rail becomes a leg of the counterpoise, and
the shear length of the rail comes closer to what the HF SSB tuner is
looking for, feed it to the tuner's ground stud from the extreme end of the
toe rail...... short copper strap is best, one strap to each side of the
vessel. Oftentimes the tuner in the lazerette or under a cockpit seat is
convenient. (especially if a fairly short antenna lead to the back-stay is
contemplated).

4. If the tuner is located in the lazerette (or fairly close), don't forget
the rudder post has excellent ground possibilities. It's either direct
contact or capacitance through paint or fiberglass to sea water are perfect!
A stainless steel hose clamp and some flexible, braided copper cable work
pretty well here. Keep it simple here, as it will seldom be free of moisture
(or sloshing sea water) the connection here will deteriorate over time, and
should be cleaned up before any offshore adventures.

All vessel RF ground system connections should be considered
"temporary" unless they are soldered or welded. They deteriorate with time,
even if the vessel is stored all winter on land. Take 'em apart, scrape and
clean and tighten 'em regularly before squirting and smearing some silicone
sealant (or grease...........your choice) around them.

Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Chuck, Lynn
Thanks for the comments. I was mainly curious as to whether this had any
merit or not. My current system runs foil to my keel bolts which go to an
exposed lead keel. This has worked for short range communications but I've
not tried reaching anyone at long distance.

I assume attaching my toe rails would not degrade performance but might not
improve things much?

Lynn
That's a good point about the bolts not actually contacting the toe rail. I
had not thought of that. Your comment on the rudder post is also very
interesting. I've not seen that recommended before but I can see it may
work quite well. Most rudder posts have a metal web welded to them and
since this is below the waterline it should help along with the post itself.
I wonder if a carbon fibre rudder would work as a ground?

Aluminum boom Barrett Bonden ASA 6 December 17th 06 05:34 PM
Isolation transformer and connection to ground [email protected] Electronics 19 February 13th 06 07:01 PM
More Breaker Panel Mess Marc Electronics 70 January 3rd 06 05:39 AM
motor HP for 16-18' flat bottom aluminum boat for trolling? [email protected] General 2 October 20th 05 05:53 AM
Anybody tried glueing cast aluminum parts together with epoxy? [email protected] Boat Building 23 October 16th 05 07:35 PM