posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Default use aluminum toe rails as SSB ground?

Gordon, it depends on what the alternative might be. Reminds me of the
young boy who ran to his dad claiming that he just saved 50 cents by
walking home from school instead of taking the bus. The father responded
that he should have walked home from school instead of taking a taxi, in
which case he would have saved $15.

Anyway, the toe rails work with a little less trouble than the lifelines
since the connection can be made below decks. Yeah. Just run copper
foil from the tuner ground post to the bolts. You might do some
experimenting and attach the foil to a croc clip for a quick and dirty
experiment. You'll want to be scientific and have someone who can give
you a meaningful A/B signal report. If could find a ham willing to help,
that would make things easier.

Again, depending on what you're using now, you may notice relatively
little difference. The tuner is not likely to shout out its approval. I
would guess you'd see more of a difference on the lower frequencies.

Do you suspect your existing ground system is somehow wanting?

Good luck. And let us know your results.

Chuck

Gordon Wedman wrote:
Recently read a suggestion saying you could use aluminum toe rails and your
lifelines as part of your SSB radio grounding system. Just run foil from
the antenna tuner ground to the toe rail bolts?
Seems easy to do so I'm wondering if it really would improve your grounding
system.