posted to rec.boats.electronics
Patrick Harman

Default NEMA Anomometers

I have a Davis wind speed and direction sensor. It would be cool to have a
NEMA wind sensor. The sensors I have found are way to expensive. Is there
away to convert my Davis sensor to NEMA? or an affordable NEMA wind sensor?

Pat Harman

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Patrick Harman" wrote in
.net:

I have a Davis wind speed and direction sensor. It would be cool to
have a NEMA wind sensor. The sensors I have found are way to
expensive. Is there away to convert my Davis sensor to NEMA? or an
affordable NEMA wind sensor?

Pat Harman

We thought the same thing, so replaced the instruments with the now-
discontinued Brookes and Gatehouse "Network" instruments, including Wind.
Trying to move to proprietary networking B&G moved on but still support
Network instruments. I found this dealer in MD I know nothing about who
has them on his webpage:
http://www.pyacht.com/online-store/s...rk_instruments.
htm
(damned wordwrap)

Lionheart has Speed, Depth, Wind, Compass, electro-hydraulic Pilot at the
helm and Data at the nav station, a data repeater for all the rest.
Network instruments are all using NMEA-0183, but all daisy-chain together
and add their data to the NMEA stream without a multiplexer in a loop
arrangement. To get NMEA data out of the "Network", you simply pull out
the data wire and plug it into your NMEA network. Ours uses one port of
a 4-port Noland NMEA multiplexer to feed the rest of the NEMA network.
All the data from all the loop-connected B&G instruments shows up on that
port. B&G "Network" Pilot, our autopilot, has a separate NMEA data input
to accept NMEA data from the multiplexer so it hears the computer or
Yeoman plotter or Raymarine RL70CRC plotter or Garmin 185 plotter outputs
(switched manually). The Compass in our B&G "Network" isn't the separate
compass sensor, but the one supplied with the Pilot. It's a better
compass than the Raymarine Compass Sensor we have with the Raymarine
Gyro-compass. It's just more stable.

"Network" instruments, being discontinued, are getting much cheaper.
Shop around. They'll feed data to your NMEA network you're looking for,
without any proprietary interface boxes like B&G is selling extra for
their Fastnet stuff, now. Find a dealer dumping the line and deal, deal,
deal!