posted to rec.boats.electronics
Patrick Harman

Default NEMA Multiplexers or Combiners

I want to combine my GPS (4,800 baud) with my AIS engine (38,400) so I have
one RS-232 output to put into my laptop computer loaded with Coastal
Explorer navigation software.

Any advice on what works?

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wout B.

"Patrick Harman" wrote in message
k.net...
I want to combine my GPS (4,800 baud) with my AIS engine (38,400) so I

have
one RS-232 output to put into my laptop computer loaded with Coastal
Explorer navigation software.

Any advice on what works?

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether

Hi,
Have a look he
http://brookhouseonline.com/nmea_multiplexer.htm
Wout

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:06:15 GMT, "Patrick Harman" wrote:
I want to combine my GPS (4,800 baud) with my AIS engine (38,400) so I have
one RS-232 output to put into my laptop computer loaded with Coastal
Explorer navigation software.
Any advice on what works?

Haven't seen it working yet cause it's shipped after feb 1st but
Shipmodul has a version that will autosense between the 4800 GPS- and
the 34800 AIS-speed. I have no ties or whatsoever.
http://www.shipmodul.nl/en/miniplex-lite.html

Fair winds,
Len
S/v Present
posted to rec.boats.electronics
TomS

At least some some (Nasa AIS engine and Euronav AI300/Nobeltec SLR-200) AIS
receivers
can receive GPS data at 4800bps from a GPS and add the AIS data (NMEA
sentece VDM).
The sum (GPS+AIS) is then outputed at 38.400bps throug a single output, no
need for a multiplexer.

Regards,
TomS

"Patrick Harman" wrote in message
k.net...
I want to combine my GPS (4,800 baud) with my AIS engine (38,400) so I have
one RS-232 output to put into my laptop computer loaded with Coastal
Explorer navigation software.

Any advice on what works?

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Patrick Harman

Looks like the Brookhouse would work. Does anyone have hands on experiance?

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether

"Wout B." wrote in message
"Patrick Harman" wrote in message
k.net...
I want to combine my GPS (4,800 baud) with my AIS engine (38,400) so I

have
one RS-232 output to put into my laptop computer loaded with Coastal
Explorer navigation software.

Any advice on what works?

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether

Hi,
Have a look he
http://brookhouseonline.com/nmea_multiplexer.htm
Wout

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wout B.

"Patrick Harman" wrote in message
k.net...
Looks like the Brookhouse would work. Does anyone have hands on

experiance?

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether

Yes, I have, but you cannot trust me because I make them :-)
Have a look he http://brookhouseonline.com/user_comments.htm
Wout