posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve

Default Wx fax software for PK-232

I am using an old pakrat pk-232 for email via winlink. I understand
that I can also use it for weather fax RTTY etc. At the present time I
am using SeaTTY through my soundcard for this, but I guess that the TNC
will do a better job, and anyway I don't like having to keep switching
connections to the radio.

Can anyone point me to some software for the pk232 for fax etc ? I
tried Googling but was not able to sort-out the 1000's of hits.

Thanks for your help

Steve

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On 29 Jan 2006 02:43:12 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

Can anyone point me to some software for the pk232 for fax etc ? I
tried Googling but was not able to sort-out the 1000's of hits.

Check out Airmail. It is good software but I'm not sure if it
supports the PK232:

http://www.siriuscyber.net/ham/

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve

Thanks, the Getfax program which works with airmail does not seem to
suppport the pk232. I have tried without sucess.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Steve" wrote in
oups.com:

Thanks, the Getfax program which works with airmail does not seem to
suppport the pk232. I have tried without sucess.

Steve, why not get the old PK-232 box out of the WEFAX loop and use a
program that lets the computer and soundcard do all the work? There are
a lot of them out there. Just plug the computer sound card input
straight into the audio output of the receiver, even the headphone jack.

http://www.dxradio.co.uk/wefax/
We're using this one on a Dell Latitude notebook and printing them on a
tiny HP injet printer I've forgotten the model number of at the moment.

There are many others. Google on:

WEFAX software

and you'll get lots of hits.

PK-232s were necessary back in the DOS days when you didn't have the
computing power or OS to do the modem work. That's easy, now, with
modern computers.....

If you really want to see something cool done directly by your computer
with sound, go get Winwarbler from:
http://www.qsl.net/winwarbler/
and tune your receiver on USB, not RTTY, to 14.070 Mhz and copy TWO
stations on PSK31 at once! PSK31 and its newer versions is a ham radio
teletype mode that only uses 31 Hz of bandwidth to type faster than you
can type....perfectly on a signal you can barely make out in the noise!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve

Thanks Larry. I am already using SeaTTY via the soundcard. It works
OK. But I had expected that there would be a significant improvement in
clarity from weak signals if I went via the PK232 - maybe that is
wrong.

I often use psk31 with ham radio deluxe which works very nicely. It
has a 'superbrowser' mode which can copy dozens of stations at once,
and look for particular strings of text, and do intelligent things with
them - eg plot locators on a world map. I agree PSK31 is very cool!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Steve" wrote in news:1138630560.159869.17120
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

But I had expected that there would be a significant improvement in
clarity from weak signals if I went via the PK232 - maybe that is
wrong.

You're going to be disappointed. Nothing is easier to trash than an old,
slow spin WEFAX analog signal. They always look like crap any distance
from the transmitting station....The system is 50 years old!

Formsys Maxsurf v11, other Naval Architecture Software, Marine Architecture Software, ship design software, boat building, Maxsurf Pro 9.52 (and Addons), Autoship 8.xx (and Addons), Proteus.Engineering.FastShip.v­6.1.25, HYDROSOFT NAVCAD 4.23.0061, S [email protected] Boat Building 0 January 13th 06 11:01 PM
Chart Display Software on PC Lloyd General 0 November 21st 05 06:24 PM
Garmin software JIm Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:59 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM