Franky

Default shipplotter AIS with USB GPS??

Hi

Currently trying shipplotter with my ICOM PCR1000 reciever.
Its works fine but cant get GPS USB support only GPS serial and my
Garmin 76c is usb connector into the laptop

Any ideas?

Thanks

Franky

Dennis Pogson

Franky wrote:
Hi

Currently trying shipplotter with my ICOM PCR1000 reciever.
Its works fine but cant get GPS USB support only GPS serial and my
Garmin 76c is usb connector into the laptop

Any ideas?

Thanks

Franky

Does the 76C not have a serial connector in addition? My 60C has, and I use
a USB-serial converter on the laptop.

Franky

Yes my mistake the 76c does has a serial output aswell, will have to
purchase another cable for this ...

Thanks of rthe info

franky

Jack Erbes

Franky wrote:

Hi

Currently trying shipplotter with my ICOM PCR1000 reciever.
Its works fine but cant get GPS USB support only GPS serial and my
Garmin 76c is usb connector into the laptop

Any ideas?

As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

I've only used them to go from serial to USB and don't know if you can
go the other way with it.

Thanks,

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Dennis Pogson

Jack Erbes wrote:
Franky wrote:

Hi

Currently trying shipplotter with my ICOM PCR1000 reciever.
Its works fine but cant get GPS USB support only GPS serial and my
Garmin 76c is usb connector into the laptop

Any ideas?

As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

I've only used them to go from serial to USB and don't know if you can
go the other way with it.

Thanks,

Jack

That would require a serial to USB adapter, the 9-pin plugs on these are
female, and the USB is a socket, not a plug.

Ian Malcolm

Jack Erbes wrote:
Franky wrote:

Hi

Currently trying shipplotter with my ICOM PCR1000 reciever.
Its works fine but cant get GPS USB support only GPS serial and my
Garmin 76c is usb connector into the laptop

Any ideas?

As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

I've only used them to go from serial to USB and don't know if you can
go the other way with it.

Thanks,

Jack

USB is designed to be low cost to implement in a peripheral device, but
the tradeoff is it requires a lot of code and a fairly large amount of
CPU performance to implement for the host. A serial port just doesn't
support a high enough transfer rate to communicate with a USB device.
Therefore the PC *must* be on the USB side of the converter.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Jack Erbes

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Jack Erbes wrote:

Franky wrote:

Hi

Currently trying shipplotter with my ICOM PCR1000 reciever.
Its works fine but cant get GPS USB support only GPS serial and my
Garmin 76c is usb connector into the laptop

Any ideas?

As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

I've only used them to go from serial to USB and don't know if you can
go the other way with it.

Thanks,

Jack

That would require a serial to USB adapter, the 9-pin plugs on these are
female, and the USB is a socket, not a plug.

Maybe I'm confused or my question is confusing. My serial to USB
adapter has a USB plug on one end and a DB9S (female) on the other.

Doesn't the USB only GPS have a USB jack? If it was a mini-USB jack it
could be adapted to standard USB with a mini-USB plug to standard USB
jack cable or adapter.

The COM port I'm asking about is hardware (not virtual) and is male
(DB9P).

That could connect my serial to USB adapter to the GPS USB port and a
hardware COM port, my question is, would it work?

And I understand that if the USB port on the GPS did not provide 5V to
power the adapter, that would have to be provided externally.

Here is a link that helps me grasp the jack/plug nomenclature for USB
connectors:

http://www.amabilidade2002.com/computer34.htm

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Jack Erbes

Ian Malcolm wrote:

snip
USB is designed to be low cost to implement in a peripheral device, but
the tradeoff is it requires a lot of code and a fairly large amount of
CPU performance to implement for the host. A serial port just doesn't
support a high enough transfer rate to communicate with a USB device.
Therefore the PC *must* be on the USB side of the converter.

Okay, I guess that makes sense. I thought maybe everything needed to
handle the translation both ways was in the PL2303 or whatever in the
adapter. Thanks for the help.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Meindert Sprang

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

No. The USB system is a master-slave system, where the computer is the
master (requires a lot of code and processing power to handle up to 127
slaves) and all connected devices are slaves. And slaves don't talk unless
they requested to talk by the master. A GPS with a USB port is a slave and
can therefore not initiate communications to other slaves.

Meindert

Peter Bennett

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:02:06 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

I've only used them to go from serial to USB and don't know if you can
go the other way with it.

Thanks,

Jack

USB is a master/slave system. The PC is the master, and anything else
is a slave. All communication is controlled by the master (PC), so
slaves can't talk directly to each other.

The USB-RS232 interface chip in the serial adaptor cable is a USB
slave, and the USB port on a GPS will also be a slave.

(I understand that there are some devices that are normally slaves
that can communicate - in particular some cameras can talk directly to
some printers - I don't know whether this is a feature of the camera
or printer, or both...)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca