Peter Bennett

Default shipplotter AIS with USB GPS??

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:02:06 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

As an aside to Franky's question, I have a related question for the
technically adept here.

Is a serial to USB adapter a two way device?

In other words, if had a GPS with a USB connector, could you use a
serial to USB adapter to connect it to a COM port?

I've only used them to go from serial to USB and don't know if you can
go the other way with it.

Thanks,

Jack

USB is a master/slave system. The PC is the master, and anything else
is a slave. All communication is controlled by the master (PC), so
slaves can't talk directly to each other.

The USB-RS232 interface chip in the serial adaptor cable is a USB
slave, and the USB port on a GPS will also be a slave.

(I understand that there are some devices that are normally slaves
that can communicate - in particular some cameras can talk directly to
some printers - I don't know whether this is a feature of the camera
or printer, or both...)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca