BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/62330-fugawi-do-not-buy.html)

Oliver Fleming November 4th 05 12:24 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

HI,
Below is a copy of the letter I have sent to the Canadian Better
Business Bureau.

These people produce Navigation Software, however in their advertising they
do not state that they limit the installations to 2 machines. Had I known of
this limitation I would not have purchased the software. This is what is
known as in my country as
"sharp practice" and can lead to heavy fines and Jail time.It is difficult
to change from machine to machine if required. Even a reformat of the hard
drive and re-installation requires a phone call or internet connection. Not
always possible if one is in a remote area. Also response is slow and
hampered by stupid non relevant questions.
The program is also buggy and not yet of merchantable quality, some features
as in the instructions do not work.
I have no quarrel with a company who wishes to limit the use of the
software, however this should be made plain in the advertising hype.

Oliver Fleming

A request for a RMA for return of the software is ignored with no
explanation.
Buy it and regret with leisure.

Oliver Fleming

Badger November 4th 05 12:42 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Oliver Fleming wrote:
[...]

Ask for your money back

Tom Dacon November 4th 05 01:02 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

You should consider yourself lucky that they let you install the software on
more than one machine at all. Generally the license you buy software under
limits you to just a single installation. While it's true that many software
installation programs don't check, and thus you can often install software
on multiple machines without problems, the end user license agreement (EULA)
on almost all retail software limits you to an installation on a single
machine. If you purchase software and install it on multiple machines as a
matter of course, you are almost certainly violating some of the EULA's you
agreed to when you purchased the software.

So Fugawi's licensing terms are actually more liberal than the norm. For a
non-business user, two computers seems to be a reasonable number: a desktop
computer at home, perhaps, and a laptop computer on the boat.

Best regards,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

[email protected] November 4th 05 01:05 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

the issue is that the software will only work on two machines ever.
After that the software is garbage.

It would be fair if it could be installed on two machines AT A TIME,
but its not.

same is with garmin software btw.

matt

Perry November 4th 05 01:39 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Oliver Fleming said: This is what is known as in my country as "sharp
practice" and can lead to heavy fines and Jail time.

In Canadan as well as the US using more than one copy ( single purchase) of
most any software is called THEFT.I would be careful about what you send the
CBBB. They may turn it over to your local authorities.

Danny November 4th 05 02:02 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

"Captain Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:39:47 GMT, "Perry" wrote:

Oliver Fleming said: This is what is known as in my country as "sharp
practice" and can lead to heavy fines and Jail time.

In Canadan as well as the US using more than one copy ( single purchase)
of
most any software is called THEFT.I would be careful about what you send
the
CBBB. They may turn it over to your local authorities.

Baloney! Read the EULA before jumping to wrong conclusions.

Captain Joe Redcloud
1882 Chestnut Hill Road
Mohnton PA
(610) 856-7118

I used to manage the tech support department for one of the biggest nav
software companies in the world. I can tell you first hand that piracy of
this sort of software is rampant, unashamed and unabashed.

You are indeed lucky to be allowed to install it beyond one machine. It's
all you paid to own. Make your same argument with Adobe, Novel, Microsoft or
any number of other companies that have the same protocol and they will
snicker at your logic.

It might be wise for you to enjoy your software and stop maligning a great
little product. In all my years in the biz, I never thought I'd defend my
Canadian brother/competitors, but there you have it.
Capt Dan

Danny November 4th 05 02:20 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:02:06 -0800, "Danny" wrote:

"Captain Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You are nuts, and you are incorrect. We are not talking about piracy at
all.
Most software today allows for installation on more than one machine with
just
one license. The world has adjusted to the fact that many peole have a
laptop
and a desktop. Software licenses frequently allow for that.

As I CLEARLY suggested, read your EULA to see what is allowed and not
allowed. I
dare you! You don't know what you are talking about, and it's easy to see
why
you lost your "job"

Captain Joe Redcloud
1882 Chestnut Hill Road
Mohnton PA
(610) 856-7118

Well. I guess you told me! And I didn't even know that I lost my job or my
mind. Thanks for the update. ;-)

Perry November 4th 05 02:39 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Cap Joe RedCloud said:
My Garmin bluechart software allows me to install it on multiple

computers, and ties it to up to two different GPS units. Captain Joe
Redcloud 1882 Chestnut Hill Road Mohnton PA (610) 856-7118

Cap Joe try this link for your Garmin bluechart EULA software
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/MapSou...UsersGuide.pdf

You may find the your license is valid for a single GPS

Treat software like a book. It's illegal to copy it and only one user at a
time

John Smith November 4th 05 03:48 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

I bought some 'Nav software' which came with a USB dongle so you can only
use it on one machine at a time.
Peter,

Larry November 4th 05 03:48 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

"Oliver Fleming" wrote in
:

they limit the installations

Precisely why I do not use Windoze XP.....(c;

--
Larry

Larry November 4th 05 03:58 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

"John Smith" wrote in
:

I bought some 'Nav software' which came with a USB dongle so you can only
use it on one machine at a time.
Peter,

Copy protection will continue until the BUYERS wise up and simply refuse to
purchase the products. This is cyclical. Back in the early 80's, on the
old IBM PCs, we went through a period of intense donglitis which infected
millions of PCs until the buyers started to refuse to buy them. Suddenly,
with revenues dwindling, we had a change of heart. Copy protection started
to decline until only the paranoid schitzo software companies were being
cash drained, many going belly up rather than making it easy for the buyers
to use the software. Then, during the big boom days, they were all making
so much cash it didn't seem to matter.....until the bubble burst and Wall
St crashed. Suddenly, Micro$not had a change of heart and, because it
views itself as invincible which may be true, Windoze XP came out with copy
protection. Why is still a mystery. You nearly can't buy a computer
without paying the Micro$not tax on it, even if you use Linux. Change too
many hardware bits and it refuses to boot until "Mother" calls it and gives
it permission.

Simply stop buying copy protected crapware and it will all go away shortly.
But, of course, THAT would require boaters to COOPERATE, which isn't going
to happen.....So, the sellers seem to control the market until the buyers
smarten up.

--
Larry

[email protected] November 4th 05 04:40 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

you are correct .. my bad... two GPS that is....

I find that a rip off but it has been discussed a lot in the GPS
groups...

Matt

Oliver Fleming November 4th 05 09:31 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Obviously you did not read the post!
I said I had no problems with the stupid practice of limiting the
software to 2 machines. Just that it should be made clear in the advertising
BEFORE PURCHASE!!!

I would not have bought it.

Bugs and not being of merchantable quality are my problem being caught
out by the hype of advertising.

(should read more reviews and ask more questions before purchase)

Oliver Fleming

Howard Peer November 4th 05 11:44 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Interesting, I had a different experience.

I found I could only load it on two machines also. But, I called the
company and they said "Hey no problem just call us when you want to add
more copies and we will give you the access code."

Right now I have the software on three machines. Two laptops and my
desktop at home.

If you have not called it might be worth the effort. I would be curious
to see if they have changed their policy.

Howard

fen November 4th 05 12:56 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

The difference between Garmin blue chart mapping programs, bought either on
CD with unlock code - OR - as a PreProgrammed DataCards, is that the first
product may be installed on two Garmin GPS units, the second can presently
NOT.

Complaint over policy of non allowed duplication of
PreProgrammed DataCards for personal use in a second
Garmin GPS unit.

My complaint is based on the restriction of
dublicating PreProgrammed DataCards beeing so deep
imbedded in Garmin and their autorized dealers
sales/ordering websites that this is only explained in
the third or later web-ordering/info layer.

Instead of clear information about any restriction for
a specific product the contrary is being illustrated
in the websales and information examples given below
which includes phrases such as:

" you are free to go!
Conveniently ready
determine which format works best."

I believe Garmin more activly, should announce any
restrictions of a product up front.

I suggest that Garmin - for the price of the
appropriate blank data card, plus a fee for
transfering the mapprogram in question to the
cardmedia - establishes this service with the same
restrictions that applies to the CDmedia.

Such a move by Garmin would set consumers of both product even.

Hans

SoftComplete November 4th 05 01:30 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Software authors have the right to deliver as number of copies as they
find relevant. This is their Intellectual Property and these are they
who make decision on how many copies to allow to use selling SINGLE
USER license. And copying overpass allowed volumes is ILLEGAL. And in
this case software developers, vendors and distributorsare not bound to
mention in their product announcing promoting and advertising how many
software copies they will supply with ONE USER license.

As for software cracks, piracy and illegal copying there is different
methods to protect a software against those who does not want pay for
software programmers and marketers work.

Kindest regards

http://www.strongbit.com - Bulletproof Software Protection And License
Management !

Oliver Fleming November 4th 05 01:32 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Hi,
I have been in touch with them and they will NOT permit the software to
be used on more than two computers, That is from their support spokesperson.
Kristina Menalo.

As it happened the hard drive on one of the laptops gave up the ghost
and I asked for another code to load onto the PC as it is faster.
There was quite a hullabaloo about that but I was granted the access to
load it onto the home PC.
I like to have software on two laptops when travelling on the boat,
offers a certain amount of redunancy.
I am still mad about the fact that I feel I was conned. I want to use
the software wherever I like and have no restrictions.
That does not mean I am going to go around the bloody marina and
distribute it for free to all and sundry.

Oliver Fleming

ervers.com...

Oliver Fleming November 4th 05 01:36 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Quite agree as I said in the original post they can do what they bloody like
with the software but make it plain in the advertising that the licence is
limited!

Oliver Fleming

oups.com...

tvnav.com November 4th 05 01:36 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

"fen" wrote in message
k...
The difference between Garmin blue chart mapping programs, bought either
on CD with unlock code - OR - as a PreProgrammed DataCards, is that the
first product may be installed on two Garmin GPS units, the second can
presently NOT.

That is incorrect. The info. stays on the data card so it isn't even
installed on one GPS. It can be used in multiple GPS's though. Obviously not
at the same time though.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

Skipper November 4th 05 01:52 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

SoftComplete wrote:

Software authors have the right to deliver as number of copies as they
find relevant...

http://www.strongbit.com - Bulletproof Software Protection And License
Management !

And knowledgeable consumers have the right to boycott products employing
these user unfriendly "schemes", and to tell companies such as yours to
'shove it!'

Kindest regards,

--
Skipper

GBM November 4th 05 02:54 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

"Oliver Fleming" wrote in message
Hi,
I have been in touch with them and they will NOT permit the software

be used on more than two computers, That is from their support

spokesperson.
Kristina Menalo.

I had trouble with the same Kristina. It was about buying Fugawi 3 from one
of their dealers, only to find that the street maps (that I was interested
in at the time) were not the current ones. She would not agree to providing
an upgrade and said I had to pay for the newer maps. I eventually bypassed
her and got to someone who agreed to provide me with a free upgrade, but it
was not a pleasant experience.

fen November 4th 05 02:58 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

My purpose is to get a legal copy of my PreProgrammed DataCard to use in my
outside steering station GPS, while the original PreProgrammed DataCard
remains in the pilothouse station GPS.

Now, had I bought the mapsoftware on CD, I would have been able to do a
transfer to a blank card AND a legal copy to a second blank card (at least
that what I believe is correct)

Of course, when I shift steering station I could unplug the card and insert
it into the other GPS.

I just would like Garmin to change policy and allow a copy from a
PreProgrammed DataCard, as they presently do from a CD.

As I write; this restriction is solely on the PreProgrammed DataCards, it is
not obvious to a buyer at the time he/she orders.(wasīnt for me anyway, but
you could argue Iīm the only one so dumb)

Youīr right that a Garmincard can be used at all compatible GPSīs, so I did
not express myself clear, sorry.

My aim remains though.

Hans

"tvnav.com" skrev i en meddelelse

k...

tvnav.com November 4th 05 03:44 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

"fen" wrote in message
k...
My purpose is to get a legal copy of my PreProgrammed DataCard to use in
my outside steering station GPS, while the original PreProgrammed DataCard
remains in the pilothouse station GPS.

Now, had I bought the mapsoftware on CD, I would have been able to do a
transfer to a blank card AND a legal copy to a second blank card (at least
that what I believe is correct)

That is correct. In fact you could load the info on hundreds of cards if
you wanted to but of course it would only work on two GPS's.

Of course, when I shift steering station I could unplug the card and
insert it into the other GPS.

I just would like Garmin to change policy and allow a copy from a
PreProgrammed DataCard, as they presently do from a CD.

Yes that would be great and then you would have folks copying them and
selling them by the hundreds.

As I write; this restriction is solely on the PreProgrammed DataCards, it
is not obvious to a buyer at the time he/she orders.

I'm not sure how it could be more obvious. Sometimes I think my wife
thinks that I should be in two places at one time but so far she hasn't let
me know how to do that and I haven't been able to figure it out either ;)
We always ask our customers if they are sure they want a pre-programmed card
instead of the software if they indicate that they may want more than one
region or use it on more than one GPS.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

ericsmith3d November 4th 05 04:10 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

A better reason not to buy XP is that it's a crappy OS.

fen November 4th 05 04:41 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

Somehow this discussion has drifted, and Iīm not sure how your wife got into
it.
Why is it fair that you legally can take a copy off a CDmap but not off a
card.

As you write the copy will only work on a specific designated machine(GPS).

I might be dumb, but even I can understand if someone ask me if I want this
or that product, explaining the difference between the two.
My complaint stems from not having been able to deduct a difference in the
mapprogram by way of the media the maps were on, by myself from the web or
GUESS it, when I bought the GPSMAP at a marineEXPO, since neither you or
the salesperson there told me, then.
Please re-read the post again with a friendlier eye.

Not out to scorn Garmin, I think they have a fine product, but I just dont
get it do I.
Will taking a copy froma CD be managable for Garmin and not harm them, but
doing a copy from a card be uncontrolable and swamp us with lawbreakers?
Still doīnt get it.

Hans

"tvnav.com" skrev i en meddelelse

k...

tvnav.com November 4th 05 05:04 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

"fen" wrote in message
k...
Somehow this discussion has drifted, and Iīm not sure how your wife got
into it.

It was a simple comparison. Another one......I can't use the engine in
my car in two different cars at one time just the same as it's not
physically possible to use the same memory card in two different GPS's at
the same time.

Why is it fair that you legally can take a copy off a CDmap but not off a
card.

That's just the way it is whether you consider it fair or not. I have
always told my kids.......life isn't fair.

Will taking a copy froma CD be managable for Garmin and not harm them, but
doing a copy from a card be uncontrolable and swamp us with lawbreakers?

Absolutely.

Still doīnt get it.

I guess we both don't get it yet. I don't understand how it's possible
to use a memory card in two different GPS's at the same time and you don't
get why it's not possible. What possibly gave you the idea that you could
copy the info. off of the pre-programmed card onto another one? As I stated
before you can't copy the card because there would be no way to control
theft of the info. The CD version uses unlock codes to control the theft of
the info. My best suggestion is to sell the pre-programmed memory card and
buy the correct product for what you want to do.

--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

Phil Wheeler November 4th 05 06:00 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Oliver Fleming wrote:

This is what is
known as in my country as
"sharp practice" and can lead to heavy fines and Jail time.

What country would that be?

I've never seen a law barring or having penalties for "sharp practice".

Phil

fen November 4th 05 08:09 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

Darrel, thank you for your advice, about selling and re-buying.

You, beeing a Garmin seller, surely knows about consumer needs, and how
important it is to have them satisfied in the long run.
And that is the reason I hope to convince Garmin that they could improve on
their costomer service profile in this aspect.

The way to do this in this case, vould be to let a costomer send in his
pre-programmed card to Garminīs designated distributor and let this
distributor do a single copy on a card.
The blank card, the postage and a fee for programing the card of course
beeing paid for by the costomer.

Assuming there is a recgonized need AND will, for such a program, some
distributorīs may make a buck or two- and the costomer is happy!. A true
win-win setup.

Now a sceptic could say:" this has never been done" OR he might even say:"
Itīs not fair". But those are really only arguments for the lazy.
What happened to TRYING?.

If this proposed solution to the problem of copyprotecting is NOT feasibly
technical possible, I shall bow down and forever keep silent and spend my
dollars as Iīm supposed to do. Until a wiser points the way.
Regards

Hans
A semi-happy Garmin costomer

"tvnav.com" skrev i en meddelelse
l.net...

k...

sugarlump November 4th 05 09:28 PM

fen wrote:
My purpose is to get a legal copy of my PreProgrammed DataCard to use in my
outside steering station GPS, while the original PreProgrammed DataCard
remains in the pilothouse station GPS.

Corporate greed vs. consumer need. Same old story.

tvnav.com November 4th 05 09:29 PM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

"fen" wrote in message
k...
Darrel, thank you for your advice, about selling and re-buying.

You, beeing a Garmin seller, surely knows about consumer needs, and how
important it is to have them satisfied in the long run.

You are correct, that is our job as a Garmin dealer. Too bad that your
dealer didn't do their job or too bad that you didn't ask before buying the
wrong product for your needs/wants.

The way to do this in this case, vould be to let a costomer send in his
pre-programmed card to Garminīs designated distributor and let this
distributor do a single copy on a card.
The blank card, the postage and a fee for programing the card of course
beeing paid for by the costomer.

I'm pretty sure that Garmin's agreement with the BlueChart folks
wouldn't allow for this but you are right, it would be worth asking or
suggesting to **Garmin** about it but it probably won't do any good to bitch
about Garmin in the newsgroups about it.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

Badger November 4th 05 09:30 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Skipper wrote:
SoftComplete wrote:

Software authors have the right to deliver as number of copies as they
find relevant...

http://www.strongbit.com - Bulletproof Software Protection And License
Management !

And knowledgeable consumers have the right to boycott products employing
these user unfriendly "schemes", and to tell companies such as yours to
'shove it!'

Kindest regards,

--
Skipper

As long as they don't steal the software you're 100% correct.

Clay

fen November 5th 05 01:50 AM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

I meant to make a suggestion, not really bitch - and also find out if I was
the only one so dumb not to ASK the seller about a thing I did not know at
the time, when I became so unlucky to buy the map from a dealer that did
not tell.

I think my GPSMAP188C and my GPSMAP188 and the map I have, is just great and
would certainly buy the stuff again, this time though a bit more informed.
Itīs all about information isīnt it.

At my place CPH the card is ~480$ and the CD ~640$(including a card and USB
reader) I would pay the 160$ and some for the card. Maybee Garmin could lock
the second card to a specific GPSMAP serialnumber and then I should pay a
fee, say 20$, so in all about 200$ for the transaction, still saving me
280$.

Anyway it īs my own dumb fault resulting in a not so dumb suggestion(I
think).
If Iīm the only guy caught, its not even worth it.
Just info and an idea - no bitching.
Thanks for the feedback

"tvnav.com" skrev i en meddelelse
l.net...

k...

Larry November 5th 05 03:41 AM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

"ericsmith3d" wrote in
lkaboutelectronicequipmen
t.com:

A better reason not to buy XP is that it's a crappy OS.

Well.....that, too.......and now it is to become OBSOLETE, AGAIN....

--
Larry

Meindert Sprang November 5th 05 10:43 AM

Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

"fen" wrote in message
k...
The difference between Garmin blue chart mapping programs, bought either

on
CD with unlock code - OR - as a PreProgrammed DataCards, is that the first
product may be installed on two Garmin GPS units, the second can presently
NOT.

Complaint over policy of non allowed duplication of
PreProgrammed DataCards for personal use in a second
Garmin GPS unit.

Why would Garmin have to tell you beforehand that you may not copy their
copyrighted material? It is already in the federal laws you are supposed to
be aware of. Stop whining man!

Meindert

prodigal1 November 5th 05 02:56 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Perry wrote:
In Canadan as well as the US using more than one copy ( single purchase) of
most any software is called THEFT.

which of course is the main reason people should grow a brain, get the
Microsoft monkey off their backs and embrace the concept of open source
operating systems and software.

johnhh November 5th 05 04:05 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

And when are you going to quit your paying job and start writing free
software for the masses?

Happy Trails November 6th 05 03:12 PM

OT: FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:16:50 -0800, I. Care wrote:
Do you know why the company is FUGAWI?

Indians????

I've always thought FUGAWI is an old (US?) Army expression !

Happy Trails To You

JIm November 6th 05 03:51 PM

FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

purchased a copy from Fugawi and installed it on main computer. When I
tried to install it on my laptop it would not install. Contacted company
and told them. They stated that it had already been installed on more than
2 computers and I could not install it on the laptop.

No body else touched the package and I broke the seal on it. You figure
that one out.

Besides sofware is worse than Garmin