Larry

Default FUGAWI DO NOT BUY IT!!!

"John Smith" wrote in
:

I bought some 'Nav software' which came with a USB dongle so you can only
use it on one machine at a time.
Peter,

Copy protection will continue until the BUYERS wise up and simply refuse to
purchase the products. This is cyclical. Back in the early 80's, on the
old IBM PCs, we went through a period of intense donglitis which infected
millions of PCs until the buyers started to refuse to buy them. Suddenly,
with revenues dwindling, we had a change of heart. Copy protection started
to decline until only the paranoid schitzo software companies were being
cash drained, many going belly up rather than making it easy for the buyers
to use the software. Then, during the big boom days, they were all making
so much cash it didn't seem to matter.....until the bubble burst and Wall
St crashed. Suddenly, Micro$not had a change of heart and, because it
views itself as invincible which may be true, Windoze XP came out with copy
protection. Why is still a mystery. You nearly can't buy a computer
without paying the Micro$not tax on it, even if you use Linux. Change too
many hardware bits and it refuses to boot until "Mother" calls it and gives
it permission.

Simply stop buying copy protected crapware and it will all go away shortly.
But, of course, THAT would require boaters to COOPERATE, which isn't going
to happen.....So, the sellers seem to control the market until the buyers
smarten up.

--
Larry

you are correct .. my bad... two GPS that is....

I find that a rip off but it has been discussed a lot in the GPS
groups...

Matt

Oliver Fleming

Obviously you did not read the post!
I said I had no problems with the stupid practice of limiting the
software to 2 machines. Just that it should be made clear in the advertising
BEFORE PURCHASE!!!

I would not have bought it.

Bugs and not being of merchantable quality are my problem being caught
out by the hype of advertising.

(should read more reviews and ask more questions before purchase)

Oliver Fleming

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
You should consider yourself lucky that they let you install the software
on more than one machine at all. Generally the license you buy software
under limits you to just a single installation. While it's true that many
software installation programs don't check, and thus you can often install
software on multiple machines without problems, the end user license
agreement (EULA) on almost all retail software limits you to an
installation on a single machine. If you purchase software and install it
on multiple machines as a matter of course, you are almost certainly
violating some of the EULA's you agreed to when you purchased the
software.

So Fugawi's licensing terms are actually more liberal than the norm. For a
non-business user, two computers seems to be a reasonable number: a
desktop computer at home, perhaps, and a laptop computer on the boat.

Best regards,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

"Oliver Fleming" wrote in message
HI,
Below is a copy of the letter I have sent to the Canadian Better
Business Bureau.

These people produce Navigation Software, however in their advertising
they do not state that they limit the installations to 2 machines. Had I
known of this limitation I would not have purchased the software. This is
what is known as in my country as
"sharp practice" and can lead to heavy fines and Jail time.It is
difficult to change from machine to machine if required. Even a reformat
of the hard drive and re-installation requires a phone call or internet
connection. Not always possible if one is in a remote area. Also response
is slow and hampered by stupid non relevant questions.
The program is also buggy and not yet of merchantable quality, some
features as in the instructions do not work.
I have no quarrel with a company who wishes to limit the use of the
software, however this should be made plain in the advertising hype.

Oliver Fleming

A request for a RMA for return of the software is ignored with no
explanation.
Buy it and regret with leisure.

Oliver Fleming

Howard Peer

Interesting, I had a different experience.

I found I could only load it on two machines also. But, I called the
company and they said "Hey no problem just call us when you want to add
more copies and we will give you the access code."

Right now I have the software on three machines. Two laptops and my
desktop at home.

If you have not called it might be worth the effort. I would be curious
to see if they have changed their policy.

Howard

Oliver Fleming wrote:
[...]

fen

Default Garmin DO NOT BUY IT before you read this!!!

The difference between Garmin blue chart mapping programs, bought either on
CD with unlock code - OR - as a PreProgrammed DataCards, is that the first
product may be installed on two Garmin GPS units, the second can presently
NOT.

Complaint over policy of non allowed duplication of
PreProgrammed DataCards for personal use in a second
Garmin GPS unit.

My complaint is based on the restriction of
dublicating PreProgrammed DataCards beeing so deep
imbedded in Garmin and their autorized dealers
sales/ordering websites that this is only explained in
the third or later web-ordering/info layer.

Instead of clear information about any restriction for
a specific product the contrary is being illustrated
in the websales and information examples given below
which includes phrases such as:

" you are free to go!
Conveniently ready
determine which format works best."

I believe Garmin more activly, should announce any
restrictions of a product up front.

I suggest that Garmin - for the price of the
appropriate blank data card, plus a fee for
transfering the mapprogram in question to the
cardmedia - establishes this service with the same
restrictions that applies to the CDmedia.

Such a move by Garmin would set consumers of both product even.

Hans

SoftComplete

Software authors have the right to deliver as number of copies as they
find relevant. This is their Intellectual Property and these are they
who make decision on how many copies to allow to use selling SINGLE
USER license. And copying overpass allowed volumes is ILLEGAL. And in
this case software developers, vendors and distributorsare not bound to
mention in their product announcing promoting and advertising how many
software copies they will supply with ONE USER license.

As for software cracks, piracy and illegal copying there is different
methods to protect a software against those who does not want pay for
software programmers and marketers work.

Kindest regards

http://www.strongbit.com - Bulletproof Software Protection And License
Management !

Oliver Fleming

Hi,
I have been in touch with them and they will NOT permit the software to
be used on more than two computers, That is from their support spokesperson.
Kristina Menalo.

As it happened the hard drive on one of the laptops gave up the ghost
and I asked for another code to load onto the PC as it is faster.
There was quite a hullabaloo about that but I was granted the access to
load it onto the home PC.
I like to have software on two laptops when travelling on the boat,
offers a certain amount of redunancy.
I am still mad about the fact that I feel I was conned. I want to use
the software wherever I like and have no restrictions.
That does not mean I am going to go around the bloody marina and
distribute it for free to all and sundry.

Oliver Fleming

ervers.com...

Oliver Fleming wrote:
[...]

Oliver Fleming

Quite agree as I said in the original post they can do what they bloody like
with the software but make it plain in the advertising that the licence is
limited!

Oliver Fleming

"SoftComplete" wrote in message
oups.com...

Software authors have the right to deliver as number of copies as they
find relevant. This is their Intellectual Property and these are they
who make decision on how many copies to allow to use selling SINGLE
USER license. And copying overpass allowed volumes is ILLEGAL. And in
this case software developers, vendors and distributorsare not bound to
mention in their product announcing promoting and advertising how many
software copies they will supply with ONE USER license.

As for software cracks, piracy and illegal copying there is different
methods to protect a software against those who does not want pay for
software programmers and marketers work.

Kindest regards

http://www.strongbit.com - Bulletproof Software Protection And License
Management !

tvnav.com

"fen" wrote in message
k...
The difference between Garmin blue chart mapping programs, bought either
on CD with unlock code - OR - as a PreProgrammed DataCards, is that the
first product may be installed on two Garmin GPS units, the second can
presently NOT.

That is incorrect. The info. stays on the data card so it isn't even
installed on one GPS. It can be used in multiple GPS's though. Obviously not
at the same time though.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com