Lynn Coffelt

I have just seen a range of low-loss thin ad flexible 50 ohm coax -
aircell 7, ecoflex 10, ecoflex 15. If its as good as it claims to be,
i would be great for use on boats for both HF and VHF. Has anyone used
it?

Yup, great stuff. Not as flexible and thin as RG-58, but a lot more than
RG-213 (?).

As an installer and repairman, we used foam dielectric coax once in a while
for cell phone antennas because of UHF loss problems. It isn't as durable as
RG-213 (the standard for most installations around salt water, as it crushes
and flattens easier than solid dielectric.

There were some brands of foam dielectric coax that absorbed moisture that
degrades coax very quickly.

RG-58 is ok for short runs of 25 watt VHF, but in tall masts, it just
doesn't cut it. Also, it is a little light weight for 100 watt plus HF
installations.

The obvious weak link in most masthead installations is in the PL-259 coax
connector installation. There are not many out there who can do a proper,
watertight soldering job up at the top of a wavering, windy masthead. Been
there, done that, was not always proud of my work.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ, PG-13-20604

Terry Spragg

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
[...]

Hay, chief, did ya ever think to push the wire down the mast using a
messenger to guide it, like the old wire being replaced, or a fish
line? that way, you leave the end with the on deck pre installed
connector on it at the top and outside the mast with a drip loop*,
while you cut to length and terminate the bottom end below decks, or
at the mast base, an easy job, or at least not so awkward as at the
top of a wobbly mast, which you heel a bit to guide the messenger.
(Damn! dropped the flux, again;-) Is the soldering iron plugged in?)

I once climbed to the top of a big fir to cut off the top for a
Christmas tree, but dropped the axe after I got up there. Had to go
down and up three times all together, once just to get my arms,
which fell off next!

If you were a masthead radio tech, and not proud of your work, you
would have done it again, unless it was your own life at risk.
Cobbler's shoes? Dija ever go up just to unscrew, remove and then
rescrew the connector, then wait for a radio check after pulling
gently on the feeder? It could benefit from doing it once every year.

How long do hams spend sending? Rael hams use code, light duty
cycle, to set up fax, etc, with old contacts. Or do they want full
duplex stereo video to remote studios, at 450 megs using meteor
scatter at days' ends, with gigantic yagis doublesteered at the
masthead? I saw one like that, once, on a 40 foot ketch in green
lapstrake on Grand Lake.

Mil RG58 is good enough for most, cheap, light.
Communications is our most valuable resource.

*Note: A typical drip loop style exit from the mast head would
cause compression of the dielectric. Soft cable with long heights
hanging should be clamped above the exit hole, sealed with caulk,
double clamped or wirehung to the mast, properly sized and torqued,
No drip loop, unless needed to meet the antenna mount. Masts should
be able to drain at the heel anyway. Matching coils should be below
the masthead, 2"-3" away from the mast. Tilting the antenna a little
to avoid instrumentation is ok, though it may affect directivity at
extremes.

Terry K -Yeah, yeah, we *can* build monster cables. -SofDevCo-

Lynn Coffelt

[...]

Hey, Terry! I like it, I like it! Can tell you've been there!
Yes, when customers wanted to put the cable in themselves, (Glee!) I would
sometimes help them figger a suitable length, and put one connector on in
the nice warm shop, advising them to put the cable in, top down, and call me
for the bottom connector.

When you told of the tree, I initially knew you were bragging about the
size of your Christmas tree. Upon closer inspection, I now know that you
only used the top!

The duty cycle on my 10 meter CW rig is way less than a thousandth of a
percent. Usually giving it 8 to 10 months to cool down between contacts.
However if one chose some of the FSK modes (I don't, personally), and had a
little less than perfect SWR (and 100 watts or so) One can melt or soften
current nodes in RG-58. Contributing, one would assume to Global Warming.

Old Chief Lynn

Larry

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Rael hams use code

Yeah....Pactor code, Amtor code, Packet code, PSK31 code, Baudot
code....(c;

REAL hams use digital modes.

--
Larry

Lynn Coffelt

Rael hams use code

Yeah....Pactor code, Amtor code, Packet code, PSK31 code, Baudot
code....(c;

REAL hams use digital modes.

--
Larry

Ah heck! And here I thought CW was the granddaddy of digital.

Lynn

Larry

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in
:

Ah heck! And here I thought CW was the granddaddy of digital.

Lynn

I have some old friends, even friends who operated CW on subs in WW2,
who've just become enthralled with PSK31 digital mode. If your transceiver
has VOX, you don't even need any interface box expense. A 10K pot to
control drive from the soundcard to the mic jack is plenty. Hookup is
almost too easy.

I use Winwarbler, which can copy three simultaneous stations on slightly
different frequencies. PSK is SUPERIOR to the finest CW station. It will
copy a DX PSK station so far into the noise you can't even tell there are
tones in the noise, much less copy Morse from it if he were sending in
Morse. PSK stations, to reduce interference in the 3Khz bandwidth the
gentlemen's agreement puts them on at 14.070, usually use only 10 or 20
watts of power, even on the other side of the planet. It's uncanny that a
cheap little soundcard can pull those tones out of the noise with such
accuracy.

Ham radio hasn't done much "inventing" in the past 30 years, but PSK is a
ham radio invention that should be enjoyed by all. Tune your HF to 14.070
SSB and listen for tiny warbling tones. Plug the headphone jack into the
LINE IN on your computer and run the Winwarbler software you get from:
http://www.qsl.net/winwarbler/
Point your mouse at any little trace in the waterfall display and click on
it. Winwarbler starts decoding instantly in the current window. Click the
next window and pick another signal trace. It's that easy...(c;
Instructions for use and installation are on the webpage. Simply amazing
mode of RTTY comms between stations, with the simplest of equipment. Pick
a trace you can hardly make out in the display and click on it...watch it
type...(c;

--
Larry
Lynn Coffelt

[...]

Larry, thanks, I've always wanted a simple way to look at PSK31, and
have read a little. Your explanation of how to get started sounds like
something even I can do. I do have a couple of pretty hot computer's that I
assembled and run right here next to a fairly good HF receiver. I'm going to
give it a listen. Unfortunately, transceiver is not something in the
inventory, but have been lurking for a good deal on a used.
Low power works, no doubt with advanced forms of digital, better than
we ever did with CW, but you know 10 or 15 watts into a 6V6 or 6L6 worked
the world every winter on 40. Friends (not me) copied down in the dirt and
heterodyne jungle. The human ear and brain are darned near as sharp as the
digital processing developments used in the later "automatic" Loran C
receivers.
Stop Lynn, while you're still ahead.

Old Chief Lynn

Doug

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
[...]

So far no one has mentioned RAG-8X, which I see more of on boats these

days than RAG-58. A second thing, what ever coax you use, use a stranded
center conductor for marine use. I have repaired way to many fractured solid
wire RAG-58 cables, broken right at or just beyond the PL259.
I learned the pull it from the top with the connector already installed
trick years ago doing type N connectors on RAG-8 or 213/214 for airport VHF
radio antennas. I also learned to have a few adapters in my pocket before
going on the roof/tower as you never knew what gender of N connectors the
antenna stub might have.
Also, please note that RAG-8 was dropped from the MilSpec books years ago
and RAG-213 replaced it or the even better shielded RAG-214. Most of the
RAG-8 you find available now says type RAG-8, not with a suffix, etc., to
indicate a jacket or dielectric or solid or stranded wire. Radio Shack has
been pawning junk off on unsuspecting citizens band ops for years, calling
it type RAG-8. Since the standard has been deleted, they can get away with
it. If you are going beyond RAG-8X (size of RAG-59), go with at least
RAG-213 or the even better Belden cable.
By the way, there is a type N connector around now that is just about the
same as a PL-259, solder the center pin and shield there same way, with no
more rubber gasket and compression nuts, etc.

73
Doug K7ABX

"real radios glow in the dark!"
Smoke signals and drum beats preceded CW as a digital mode!