Lew Hodgett

jds wrote:
well, call me an old fart then. if someone is too damn lazy to learn code,
let em be limited to a technician. i use cw 99% of the time. try talking to
some guy in italy that doesnt speak english any better than i speak italian,
add accent= wtf did he say??? an "a" is .- in any language. jeez , 5wpm is a
real obsticle?? i could copy 10 before i even attempted my novice test.
j.d. kc7mpd

Sounds like a merit badge you have to learn to enter the club.

Bet you still have your Capt'n Midnight decoder ring.

Seriously, if you choose to use code, so be it.

I have better things to do with my time than learning to use a totally
dead language.

I'm not interested in ham radio as a hobby, I already have too many.

For me is it strictly a communication tool when I'm on then water.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Want to make ham radio a PITA to use, be my guest, there are other options.

Lew

Gerald

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
k.net...
jds wrote:
well, call me an old fart then. if someone is too damn lazy to learn
code, let em be limited to a technician. i use cw 99% of the time. try
talking to some guy in italy that doesnt speak english any better than i
speak italian, add accent= wtf did he say??? an "a" is .- in any
language. jeez , 5wpm is a real obsticle?? i could copy 10 before i even
attempted my novice test.
j.d. kc7mpd

Sounds like a merit badge you have to learn to enter the club.

Bet you still have your Capt'n Midnight decoder ring.

Seriously, if you choose to use code, so be it.

I have better things to do with my time than learning to use a totally
dead language.

I'm not interested in ham radio as a hobby, I already have too many.

For me is it strictly a communication tool when I'm on then water.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you aren't interested in HAM radio as a hobby, then why should the hobby
have to change to accommodate you? Why not expect the licensing test to
drop all the electronics requirements since you don't expect to build /
design / modify any radios. If you plan on having a marine installer hook
up your radio to a backstay, knowing about antenna design seems like a
waste of time. Even if you do, you should probably need to prove you know
something about rigging too. Well Lew, if you want to communicate, use
marine SSB, or Marine VHF, or CB, or FRS, or GMRS, or your cell phone. Want
to talk to HAMS? Get a HAM license.

Want another potentially usefull communications option? If you do much
offshore work, you should consider getting a hand held Aviation VHF radio
with a AA battery pack to put in your "ditch bag". Legal to own? yes.
Legal to operate? Not with out an appropriate license. But, if you just
stepped up from your boat into your life raft, it might be nice to talk with
commercial airline pilots overhead while the rescue people figure out who
the unregistred EPIRB you activated belongs to. --- ILLEGAL ??? COME ARREST
ME --- PLEASE ---- NOW!!!!

Then there is that damn USCG Master License test. You need to know inland
river rules when you only operate in the atlantic coast. You need to know
how many bolts on a 6 inch fire hose coupling when you only operate a 50
foot motor vessel. They actually expect you to know how to navigate with a
chart, dividers, parallel ruler and a pencil --- how archaic is that?
Everyone uses GPSs now. .They really need to dumb that test down too to
accomodate those too dumb, lazy or uninterested enough to be bothered to
learn.

Lew

Jerry
USCG Near Coastal Master / with towing and sailing endorsements
Amateur Advanced

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:47:16 GMT

On 2005-08-09
said:
[...]

Agreed in many respects. I'd like to see the ham radio tests a little
tougher on the theory, question pools not available to anybody but
registered volunteer examiners etc. study materials should be built
around the student learning the damn material and not on memorizing
answers to multiple guess questions.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

POOR PLANNING ON YOUR PART
Does NOT constitute an emergency on our part!

John Proctor

jds wrote:
[...]

That was the best rebuttal of the "you need to dumb things down so I
too can pass this test!" Amen Jerry.

PS. I am through all the practical reqirements for our AYF Coastal
Skipper Certification and working towards the Offshore Certificate.

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Lew Hodgett

"Gerald" wrote:

If you aren't interested in HAM radio as a hobby, then why should the
hobby have to change to accommodate you?

Depends on whether you expect the HAM hobby to survive.

Unless some serious changes are made, there won't be enough new blood
attracted to the hobby for it to survive when all the existing old farts
are gone.

Lew

Gerald

Lew -

I find myself on both sides of this debate.

On the one hand ... Eliminate the code requirement ---

* I agree that perhaps the time for CW TESTING has passed. Not the use of CW
mind you, just the testing. Not the use of CW mind you, just the testing.
CW is still quite popular and active for casual QSOs as well as intense
contesting. It will be a popular mode for awhile. CW is still quite popular
and active for casual QSOs as well as intense contesting. It will be a
popular mode for awhile.As the last generation of Hams who "had to " learn
CW fade away -- perhaps CW will start to wind down too because not enough
people are being introduced to this mode. But that will because of "the will
of the people" not some silly FCC regulation.

*The CW requirement is being dropped in most other jurisdictions in the
world --- not that they are any smarter than we are --- but it clearly is
the trend.

* If I am to be true to my generally conservative beliefs, then the
requirement probably should go. The government should not be using its
regulatory powers to control our hobbies in this manner. Band allocations
yes, emission types - perhaps --- to insure there is no RF anarchy. Beyond
that --- butt out my life.

On the other hand -- keep the code requirements -- AKA no change.

*I believe the argument that code should be dropped because it is killing
the hobby is, at best, specious. I am not at all convinced that dropping CW
is going to breath and great amounts of life into the hobby. NO-CODE
licenses have been available for years. No great influx of young hams in
the VHF/UHF bands.

*From listening to the no-code debate for years, I am convinced that most
(not all) people who want to drop the code requirement because they want the
HF privileges, but they don't want to bother to learn the code. There is no
deep concern for the future of ham radio hidden in there anywhere; Just the
increasingly popular "I want..." but "I don't want to...". I want a lot of
money, but I don't want to work too hard. I want a nice car, but I don't
want to get a job". I want access to Winlink200 for free email while
cruising, but I don't want to learn the code. I don't think that is a
sufficient reason to change the requirement.

Today, kids have so much to pick from. Their communications options are
amazing (compared to 50 years ago --- hell, compared to 10 years ago!) cell
phone voice, cell phone IM, email, internet IM, chatrooms, websites... Back
in the old days those of us who were classified as "geeks" turned to
electronics and ham radio as a way to express our geekiness. Today, the
geeky kids turn to robotics and/or programming. Count the number of
websites devoted to building robotics VS the number devoted to building RF
stuff. Worthy of note --- not much of that communications technology did
anyone much good around ground zero on 9-11 of the hurricanes in Florida
last year, or ... pick your disaster. Cell phone service was pretty much
crippled on the east coast (entire country???) on 9-11. Ham radio kept on
ticking... But, it just where the excitement is right now. I think that is
the biggest challenge to Ham radio's future

If the genesis of ham radio was one of insuring that the country had a good
standby supply of communications technicians available during times of war
(WW1 / WW2 ??) then the history of CW knowledge is very obvious. That
national defense requirements are no longer the same. Now, there may be a
legitimate Homeland Defense, Emergency Readiness need to have back up (or
supplemental) communications in the hands of a larger number of trained and
organized citizens. Ham participation in the aftermath of Hurricanes, in
the aftermath of 9-11, in the aftermath of the next natural/terrorist
disaster may be reasons for the FCC to want to Keep Ham radio alive. I
think that having a good base of ham operators can be a good thing for the
country --- but only if they are ON THE AIR practicing their various
communications specialties.

I am starting to ramble...

To summarize, I am firmly on the fence with conservative tendencies leaning
to - less regulation is better regulation.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Gerald" wrote:

If you aren't interested in HAM radio as a hobby, then why should the
hobby have to change to accommodate you?

Depends on whether you expect the HAM hobby to survive.

Unless some serious changes are made, there won't be enough new blood
attracted to the hobby for it to survive when all the existing old farts
are gone.

Lew

Gerald

Plus -

I still have and use paper charts right next to my GPS fed computer with
charting software.

Which is all located at my nav station where I keep my sextent that I enjoy
using whenever I am offshore. It is good to be able to verify that the GPS
is working ok!

A little of the new, a little of the old.

"Gerald" wrote in message
Lew -

I find myself on both sides of this debate.

On the one hand ... Eliminate the code requirement ---

* I agree that perhaps the time for CW TESTING has passed. Not the use of
CW mind you, just the testing. Not the use of CW mind you, just the
testing. CW is still quite popular and active for casual QSOs as well as
intense contesting. It will be a popular mode for awhile. CW is still
quite popular and active for casual QSOs as well as intense contesting.
It will be a popular mode for awhile.As the last generation of Hams who

"Gerald" wrote:

If you aren't interested in HAM radio as a hobby, then why should the
hobby have to change to accommodate you?

Depends on whether you expect the HAM hobby to survive.

Unless some serious changes are made, there won't be enough new blood
attracted to the hobby for it to survive when all the existing old farts
are gone.

Lew

Geoff Schultz

"Gerald" wrote in
:

Worthy of note --- not much of
that communications technology did anyone much good around ground zero
on 9-11 of the hurricanes in Florida last year, or ... pick your
disaster. Cell phone service was pretty much crippled on the east
coast (entire country???) on 9-11. Ham radio kept on ticking...

[Lots of clipping from the above post]

So what did morse code have to do with the above? How much of the
communication during the hurricane(s) was code vs voice? I can guess that
it was probably close to 100% voice. I would also point out that cell
service was disrupted in the immediate area around the 911 disaster, but
the rest of the country wasn't effected, other than perhaps overloaded
circuits. Q: How did the reports from the hijacked plane that crashed into
the field come in? A: Cell phones.

-- Geoff
Gerald

Geoff --

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...
"Gerald" wrote in
:

Worthy of note --- not much of
that communications technology did anyone much good around ground zero
on 9-11 of the hurricanes in Florida last year, or ... pick your
disaster. Cell phone service was pretty much crippled on the east
coast (entire country???) on 9-11. Ham radio kept on ticking...

[Lots of clipping from the above post]

So what did morse code have to do with the above?

Absolutly nothing. Just a litttle "pro ham radio" note.

How much of the
communication during the hurricane(s) was code vs voice? I can guess that
it was probably close to 100% voice. I would also point out that cell
service was disrupted in the immediate area around the 911 disaster, but
the rest of the country wasn't effected, other than perhaps overloaded
circuits.

And the differnece bwtween overloaded circuits and any other disruption
when you need to get a call through and cann't is......?

Q: How did the reports from the hijacked plane that crashed into
the field come in? A: Cell phones.

And your point is??????

I think we are loosing some sense of where this thread came from and is
about.

-- Geoff

Ham Radio Licenses Stan Winikoff Electronics 79 August 10th 04 04:41 AM
Code Flags Michael ASA 5 July 5th 04 05:11 PM
Ignorant Dupes jlrogers ASA 109 August 11th 03 11:16 AM