Larry

Default FCC proposes to drop code on all licenses!

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/07/20/100/?nc=1

Good news for boaters! FCC proposes to drop ALL Morse code requirements on
ALL licenses! THE TIME OF YOUR HAM LICENSE HAS ARRIVED!

The public comment window is open! Tell the FCC to get rid of the code!

Now, they should replace the code test with a TYPING test so you can carry
on a decent conversation with those dunderheads that can't type 5wpm on
packet, pactor, PSK31, RTTY, etc........No typing endorsement, no data
modes!

As an Extra Class, I also propose to drop the stupid ARRL band segregation
on "class" and "modes". How stupid....

73 DE W4CSC
--
Larry

NNNN
Skip Gundlach

How does one comment?

I was just about to engage in my code-learning phase of rehab, my
typing having been authorized, and my waiting only for the return of my
laptop with the installed nav software before beginning.

I was quite happy to learn the code - but find it a total anachronism
today.

L8R

Skip, rehabbing as patiently as I can (no activity, arm and shoulder
restrained)

Larry

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
oups.com:

Skip, rehabbing as patiently as I can (no activity, arm and shoulder
restrained)

YO! Skip! Welcome back! Just be patient. FCC is, once again, going to
be telling archaic ARRL to take a hike. It's 30 years too late, but
they're coming around.

Ham radio is dying of OLD AGE and FCC know it.

--
Larry

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:31:55 GMT

Larry wrote
Good news for boaters! FCC proposes to drop ALL Morse code
requirements on ALL licenses! THE TIME OF YOUR HAM LICENSE HAS
ARRIVED! The public comment window is open! Tell the FCC to get
rid of the code! Now, they should replace the code test with a
TYPING test so you can carry on a decent conversation with those
dunderheads that can't type 5wpm on packet, pactor, PSK31, RTTY,
etc........No typing endorsement, no data modes!
As an Extra Class, I also propose to drop the stupid ARRL band
segregation on "class" and "modes". How stupid....

I am of the opinion they should keep the 5 wpm code for the etra. The
extra is supposed to be a smattering of knowledge of all things ham
radio, and the code is part of our heritage as well as a viable mode.
Arrl is proposing bandwidth based band plans instead of modes. I'd
still like to see narrow band emission types have segregated places
where those folks can work without wideband signals trouncing them and
vice versa, just as I'd still like to see special segments of vhf and
uhf bands for weak signal enthusiasts to pursue their interests
without being trashed by some cb on fm no code memorized the answers
to pass his multiple guess tech test.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

POOR PLANNING ON YOUR PART
Does NOT constitute an emergency on our part!
Lew Hodgett

Larry wrote:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/07/20/100/?nc=1

Good news for boaters! FCC proposes to drop ALL Morse code requirements on
ALL licenses! THE TIME OF YOUR HAM LICENSE HAS ARRIVED!

The public comment window is open! Tell the FCC to get rid of the code!

snip

Sounds like many of the old farts have finally died.

Lew

jds

well, call me an old fart then. if someone is too damn lazy to learn code,
let em be limited to a technician. i use cw 99% of the time. try talking to
some guy in italy that doesnt speak english any better than i speak italian,
add accent= wtf did he say??? an "a" is .- in any language. jeez , 5wpm is a
real obsticle?? i could copy 10 before i even attempted my novice test.
j.d. kc7mpd

Geoff Schultz

wrote in news:fITJe.3606$op.62
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

I am of the opinion they should keep the 5 wpm code for the etra. The
extra is supposed to be a smattering of knowledge of all things ham
radio, and the code is part of our heritage as well as a viable mode.
Arrl is proposing bandwidth based band plans instead of modes. I'd
still like to see narrow band emission types have segregated places
where those folks can work without wideband signals trouncing them and
vice versa, just as I'd still like to see special segments of vhf and
uhf bands for weak signal enthusiasts to pursue their interests
without being trashed by some cb on fm no code memorized the answers
to pass his multiple guess tech test.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

What a bunch of crap from the people who suggest that the code requirement
should be kept. Who ever uses it? Nobody! Listen to the frequencies and
how much code do you hear? Virtually none. Actually when I do hear it,
it's generally a one way transmission over the top of voice conversations.
It's an archiac form of communication that no one uses. To have the FCC
finally come to that conclusion emphasizes that point.

It's the old guard who says "Well, if I had to learn it, every one should
learn it!" These are also the people who claim to have walked up-hill to
school (both ways) in 3 feet of snow...every day. That is unless it was
when it was 110 degrees and the locust were out.

Face up to the realities of today's communication. It isn't used and it's
not important.

-- Geoff
Lew Hodgett

jds wrote:
well, call me an old fart then. if someone is too damn lazy to learn code,
let em be limited to a technician. i use cw 99% of the time. try talking to
some guy in italy that doesnt speak english any better than i speak italian,
add accent= wtf did he say??? an "a" is .- in any language. jeez , 5wpm is a
real obsticle?? i could copy 10 before i even attempted my novice test.
j.d. kc7mpd

Sounds like a merit badge you have to learn to enter the club.

Bet you still have your Capt'n Midnight decoder ring.

Seriously, if you choose to use code, so be it.

I have better things to do with my time than learning to use a totally
dead language.

I'm not interested in ham radio as a hobby, I already have too many.

For me is it strictly a communication tool when I'm on then water.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Want to make ham radio a PITA to use, be my guest, there are other options.

Lew

Larry

"jds" wrote in

well, call me an old fart then. if someone is too damn lazy to learn
code, let em be limited to a technician. i use cw 99% of the time. try
talking to some guy in italy that doesnt speak english any better than
i speak italian, add accent= wtf did he say??? an "a" is .- in any
language. jeez , 5wpm is a real obsticle?? i could copy 10 before i
even attempted my novice test. j.d. kc7mpd

Many people still ride horses, too. But, alas, that is NOT a requirement
before one drives a car. The analogy is the same. You do not have to know
how to ride a horse before you are allowed to drive a car. You can be
licensed to drive a ship, but are not required to row a boat.

We're all glad you love CW. I'm hoping FCC comes to its senses and
restricts CW to the CW part of the band. The only thing it is used for in
other parts of the band is a jamming device. There is no reason for it to
be used in any other part of the bands.

--
Larry

Ham Radio Licenses Stan Winikoff Electronics 79 August 10th 04 04:41 AM
Code Flags Michael ASA 5 July 5th 04 05:11 PM
Ignorant Dupes jlrogers ASA 109 August 11th 03 11:16 AM