Phil Stanton

Default Touchscreens again

Thanks for the various inputs on Touchscreens.
Sorry to post again, but the original subject is rather old now, originally
posted on 8 July.
I have been in contact with various UK suppliers, and they all seem to think
there is no problem with the transflective side.
Then comes the next argument. One supplier says they only way to go is an
Infra Red touch screen sensing arrangement, another supplier says Infra Red
is unreliable, you must have a resistive screen. The original supplier
supplied a capacitive screen which worked well on the odd occasions when it
was bright enough to see.
Another problem is the bezel round the screens which are quoted as
aluminium. I haven't yet managed to find out if it is anodised.
Before lashing out £800 to £900 I would welcome any further comments.

Larry

"Phil Stanton" wrote in
:

Thanks for the various inputs on Touchscreens.
Sorry to post again, but the original subject

Phil, before you shell out 900 of Her Majesty's finest for a touch screen,
let's give it a little sea trial!

Go down to the sea and scoop out a little jar of the North Sea and take it
with you to the touch screen store. Dip you finger into the jar,
simulating actually being at sea covered in spray where you'll want to use
this animal, then touch that finger to the touch screens in question, WET.
Let's see if any of them will work WET with a little North Sea brine on
them.

I bet NOT! Any dot of conductive, corrosive seawater left on the touch
screen is going to either short it out, permanently, or at least make it
think your finger is touching the screen at this point...er, ah, those
points (sea water sprays!). I don't think it'll know your finger in a maze
of dried-on sea spray or wet salt water dots.

Give 'er a SEA TRIAL first....saves all that arguing and litigating later
trying to get your 900 pounds Sterling back. Hmm..Gotta go look up how to
make the Sterling sign on the Alt-number pad again...(c;

--
Larry

If you touch it and hear a frying noise....casually take your jar and LEAVE
QUIETLY!....(c;
Glenn Ashmore

Can't speak to the transflective part but I have tried all three
technologies,IR,capacitive and resistive on my CNC router. I can pretty
well confirm that none have a place in an open cockpit. If a drop of water
hits an IR screen it will pop up a menu and ignore your finger. Same thing
for a capacitive except that a thin coat of dust will confuse it too. The
resistive is better than the others but will pop up a menu if you cough at
it so no telling what it will do in a 20 knot wind.

I am putting the resistive screen in the nav station and a straight
transflective on the binnacle with a waterproof industrial track ball
mounted below it. Even then the touch screen will have a track ball too.
Touch screens are great for Kiosks and programs that have big buttons but
suck when you need accuracy. I have been playing with a couple of chart
programs using the touch screen. It is impossible to put a waypoint exactly
where you want it. You just can't get the position accuracy with your
finger that you can with a traditional mouse or track ball.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Phil Stanton" wrote in message
Thanks for the various inputs on Touchscreens.
Sorry to post again, but the original subject is rather old now,
originally posted on 8 July.
I have been in contact with various UK suppliers, and they all seem to
think there is no problem with the transflective side.
Then comes the next argument. One supplier says they only way to go is an
Infra Red touch screen sensing arrangement, another supplier says Infra
Red is unreliable, you must have a resistive screen. The original supplier
supplied a capacitive screen which worked well on the odd occasions when
it was bright enough to see.
Another problem is the bezel round the screens which are quoted as
aluminium. I haven't yet managed to find out if it is anodised.
Before lashing out £800 to £900 I would welcome any further comments.

Mic

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:54:09 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Glen

Just a note I, and am sure many others, enjoy your calm and thoughtful

Just thought you like to know....

[...]

Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"Phil Stanton" wrote in
:

[...]

Well Larry, if you could take the trouble of looking at the site of the
Bharlin Blue,
http://www.bharlinblue.com/
You'll see 4 touchscreens installed in the cockpit, directly in front of
both helm stations. They work perfectly at sea.

Meindert

Phil Stanton

Interesting, Meindert, Can't find any information on what sort of screens
they are. Do you have any idea

Phil

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Larry" wrote in message
"Phil Stanton" wrote in
:

[...]

Meindert Sprang

"Phil Stanton" wrote in message
Interesting, Meindert, Can't find any information on what sort of screens
they are. Do you have any idea

I do, I made the software that connects them through a large KVM switch to
several computers :-)
These are from Xenex (www.xenex.com) and are called Xenex Navigence XD
Series High-Bright Marine Displays.

Meindert

Larry

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in

Can't speak to the transflective part but I have tried all three
technologies,IR,capacitive and resistive on my CNC router. I can
pretty well confirm that none have a place in an open cockpit. If a
drop of water hits an IR screen it will pop up a menu and ignore your
finger. Same thing for a capacitive except that a thin coat of dust
will confuse it too. The resistive is better than the others but will
pop up a menu if you cough at it so no telling what it will do in a 20
knot wind.

YO! MEINDERT! YOU READIN' DIS BO?!!

--
Larry
Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in

Can't speak to the transflective part but I have tried all three
technologies,IR,capacitive and resistive on my CNC router. I can
pretty well confirm that none have a place in an open cockpit. If a
drop of water hits an IR screen it will pop up a menu and ignore your
finger. Same thing for a capacitive except that a thin coat of dust
will confuse it too. The resistive is better than the others but will
pop up a menu if you cough at it so no telling what it will do in a 20
knot wind.

YO! MEINDERT! YOU READIN' DIS BO?!!

Yes, and I certainly haven't experienced what Glenn is describing with the
screens I've worked with. they were resistive and you have to apply more
pressure than a 20 knot wind does......
But I'll ask the yard who built and maintains this yacht tomorrow, to see if
they have any complaints from the owner.

Meindert

Larry

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Yes, and I certainly haven't experienced what Glenn is describing with
the screens I've worked with. they were resistive and you have to
apply more pressure than a 20 knot wind does......
But I'll ask the yard who built and maintains this yacht tomorrow, to
see if they have any complaints from the owner.

Meindert

Pressure sensitive? Like the old screens with the film on them? That
might work....well, at least until something bumps it making a dimple,
which is what did in the old screens.

--
Larry