Meindert Sprang

"Kees Verruijt" wrote in message
I don't understand what you're saying. Admiral is computer software, how
does this relate to your remark that touchscreens are capacitive?

Sorry, I quoted the wrong text. I meant to comment on your idea of operating
the touchscreen with your fingernail. This does not work on a capacitive
screen, since you have to touch it with something conductive.

Meindert

Jack Erbes

Phil Stanton wrote:

Actually the one I returned as not bright enough was OK as far as accuracy
goes. I am using Chartwork's NautiQ software that has quite large buttons.
Tended to use a cocktail stick (used to stir Gin & Tonic) so put any
inaccuracies down to the gin rather than the screen. It at least saved
getting wet or greasy marks all over the screen.

http://www.arkon.com/stylus.html

Here is a place that offers a "Glow-in-the-Dark Patented Finger Stylus"
and also pen cap stylii. I'm using a iPAQ PDA in a tank top map case on
my motorcycle and have a combination ballpoint pen/PDA stylus in the
case (on a short string) for taking notes and working the nav software.

Sort of off this topic but related, I still can't figure out why the
"320x480 Transflective TFT color display" on my Palm Tungsten T3 is
almost unreadable in daylight and completely unusable with direct
sunlight. It has an adjustable backlight, turning that full up does not
change anything, and there do not appear to be any sensors that reduce
the backlight as ambient lighting increases.

I thought a transflective display with backlight was the "hot ticket"
for outdoor use realizing that brightness varies from model to model.
The T3 still has a brilliant, sharp, display in dimmer lighting. My
iPAQ 3765 is not as good in doors but remains readable in direct
sunlight when set to Bright or Superbright.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Larry

"Phil Stanton" wrote in
:

greasy marks all over the screen

There's another touchscreen problem. Everyone's hands are all covered in
seawater residue, booze and grease from a lot of sources aboard the boat.
There's a sign I made with the label maker on the Raymarine display and
computer...."This is NOT a touchscreen."....trying to keep them from using
their greasy finger to point out something. It still gets hard to read
after a day offshore....(sigh)

I can imagine how it would look at the end of a day with the duty watch
having to push the image buttons with his greasy fingers.

--
Larry
Larry

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

No, in Kylix. That is the Linux version of Delphi.

Their webpage says it will also compile C++ is why I asked.

--
Larry
Glenn Ashmore

" There's another touchscreen problem. Everyone's hands are all covered in
seawater residue, booze and grease from a lot of sources aboard the boat.
There's a sign I made with the label maker on the Raymarine display and
computer...."This is NOT a touchscreen."....trying to keep them from using
their greasy finger to point out something. It still gets hard to read
after a day offshore....(sigh)

I can imagine how it would look at the end of a day with the duty watch
having to push the image buttons with his greasy fingers.

Actually they clean up pretty well. At least the shop ELO does. Doing
double duty controlling the router table and the mill it gets grease and
cutting oil finger prints regularly. A little Windex on a dedicated shammy
cleans it right up. You do have to be careful about epoxy and PU glue
though. :-0 I have caught myself a couple of times about to hit the tool
change button with sticky fingers. I have had to adopt a policy of never
doing any glue ups while waiting for the router to do its thing.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in

Actually they clean up pretty well. At least the shop ELO does.
Doing double duty controlling the router table and the mill it gets
grease and cutting oil finger prints regularly. A little Windex on a
dedicated shammy cleans it right up. You do have to be careful about
epoxy and PU glue though. :-0 I have caught myself a couple of times
about to hit the tool change button with sticky fingers. I have had
to adopt a policy of never doing any glue ups while waiting for the
router to do its thing.

In an environment like yours, Glenn, I'd wrap the front of the monitor in
Saran Wrap, making cleanup a simple matter of replacing the Saran Wrap. It
would also protect the screen surface from the grindings that get in any
machinist's fingers, griding on the Saran Wrap, not the fragile screen.

Restaurants around here all use their commercial plastic film over monitors
and cash register keys to protect them and reduce downtime....try it.

--
Larry
Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

No, in Kylix. That is the Linux version of Delphi.

Their webpage says it will also compile C++ is why I asked.

Now I remember. Kylix does indeed compile C++ too.

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I suppose they can be made with different sensitivities but my resistive
display a water resistant ELO. Besides their own displays ELO supplies
touch screen overlays and modules for a lot of display makers. It

doesn't
seem to be effected by water drops the way the capacitive one is but if

am
within 18" of it and sneeze it is the same as randomly hitting the left
mouse button. A steady overall even wind pressure may not do it.

These screens were certainly not that sensitive, as I remember.

I checked with the yard that built the Bharlin Blue. These touchscreens are
indeed capacitive and very robust. They have never had any experience nor
complaints about odd behaviour when wet or accidental "touches" due to drops
or splashes of water. I remember that I could configure them for the amount
of "touch" needed. The used algorithm seems to be very capable of
distinguishing between a single point of touch and a large area caused by a
splash or, for that matter, two fingers or an entire hand.

Meindert

Danny

Kees Verruijt wrote:
Meindert Sprang wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:
MaxSea in any kind of a swell.

[snip]

(snip)
As my sailing boat is quite a lot smaller than 98' :-) I use a portable
touchscreen made by Panasonic. Touchscreen-wise this is excellent; we
were doused with north sea water this year but no issues with the
screen. Viewability in direct sunlight is so so, but as it's portable
you can move it around until you get a good view (some angles are quite
good in sunlight, others are a total washout).

--
Kees

Could you post the exact model number of that Panasonic screen?
Kees Verruijt

Danny wrote:

Could you post the exact model number of that Panasonic screen?

Sure,

It's the Panasonic CF-VDW07. They call it the MDWD (Mobile Data Wireless
Display). See
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...Toughbook-MDWD

I got mine as it is resold by Nobeltec. They call it the Wireless
Nobeltec Display, affectionately known as WiNDy... See
http://www.nobeltec.com/products/prod_tb_wnd.asp

Regards,
Kees