Tailgunner

Default VHF transmit problem

I have an ICOM 145 VHF radio. It receives fine but doesn't tranmit. Of
course, it was working fine last year (but isn't that what we all say).

When I key the mike it will break static on another radio but that's it.
Could it be the lead from the antenna or is the mike more likely the
culprit?

Thanks for any help offered.

Tailgunner
Jim Besse

"Tailgunner" wrote in message
I have an ICOM 145 VHF radio. It receives fine but doesn't tranmit.
Of course, it was working fine last year (but isn't that what we all
say).

When I key the mike it will break static on another radio but that's
it. Could it be the lead from the antenna or is the mike more likely
the culprit?

Thanks for any help offered.

Tailgunner

I would also check the 12VDC supply as close to the radio as you can.
Make sure the voltage doesn't drop when you transmit. It's quite
common to develop a bad connection over the winter.

--
Jim

chuck

I assume you hear nothing on the other radio when you speak
into the microphone.

If you are getting a strong and stable signal strength
indication on the other radio but no audio, then it sounds
like a microphone problem. It could be internal, but the
microphone/cable/connector is a more likely actor.

If the signal strength indicator registers briefly and then
shuts off, you probably have a different problem, such as
the 12 VDC wiring as mentioned above.

Good luck.

Chuck

Jim Besse wrote:
"Tailgunner" wrote in message

I have an ICOM 145 VHF radio. It receives fine but doesn't tranmit.
Of course, it was working fine last year (but isn't that what we all
say).

When I key the mike it will break static on another radio but that's
it. Could it be the lead from the antenna or is the mike more likely
the culprit?

Thanks for any help offered.

Tailgunner

I would also check the 12VDC supply as close to the radio as you can.
Make sure the voltage doesn't drop when you transmit. It's quite
common to develop a bad connection over the winter.

Tailgunner

Jim Besse wrote:

"Tailgunner" wrote in message

I have an ICOM 145 VHF radio. It receives fine but doesn't tranmit.
Of course, it was working fine last year (but isn't that what we all
say).

When I key the mike it will break static on another radio but that's
it. Could it be the lead from the antenna or is the mike more likely
the culprit?

Thanks for any help offered.

Tailgunner

I would also check the 12VDC supply as close to the radio as you can.
Make sure the voltage doesn't drop when you transmit. It's quite
common to develop a bad connection over the winter.

Thanks to you both. Knowing my wiring job last year I would suspect the
12VDC supply. Not something I would have thought of.

Tailgunner