Pascal Goncalves

Default GpsMap276C NMEA

About two month ago, I reported here (and to Garmin) a problem with
the NMEA interface with my new GpsMap 276C and my autopilot AH/ST4000
and until today, this problem was not fixed by Garmin. I do not
believe that I am the sole user in the world witch have interfaced my
gps with my autopilot, but nobody else reported here this problem:
why?

The fact is that, here I have many friends, witch have theirs Garmin
gps interfaced with theirs autopilots, and many of them have the
problem, and a few others have not, as I showed in my report; In
general, old Autohelm autopilots like AH/ST 2000/4000/6000/7000, have
this problem with Gamins gps models: 130/12XL/45 with NMEA 2.0, III
Plus, III, V, 60C, 76C, and 276C. The problem does not exist with gps
models: 176, 176C, Map76, 130/12XL/45 with NMEA 1.5.

As I had explained in my report, I discovered, after several tests
that the problem is caused by the RMB message, and all gps witch sends
BWC, XTE and VTG does not have the problem, but all Garmin gps witch
does not send this messages causes the problem with that old
autopilots.

As the manual of GpsMap 276C states in page 90, "Advanced NMEA Setup",
that the unit ALWAYS sends the BWC, XTE and VTG, I have the right to
expect that Garmin will fix this fault ASAP, witch does not happened
until now (more than 60 days).

As several users of this gps forum had talked, maybe someone who read
this message could be a Garmin dealer or Garmin employed and perhaps
he/she can give me a help in convincing Garmin to solve this problem,
so that I could use my new and expensive Gps with my Autopilot, as
now I am forced to use again my old Map130 and Map76 for the
interface and keep my new Map276C in the box (since september/2004).

I am a Garmin customer since 1992, but now I am very angry with Garmin
because of this problem, I am thinking that maybe I should instead,
try sell this 276 and buy a plotter from NAVMAN or other brand: any
suggestions?

Regards

Pascal Goncalves
S 13 00/W 038 27
William G. Andersen

My Furuno radar and iCom VHF-FM radio don't display NMEA data from my
Garmins (eTrex and GPS12) unless I set the Garmins to 4800 BAUD. If I use a
higher transfer speed, I don't get the GPS info displayed on the radar and
radio.
I'm not a technical guy, so I don't understand exactly what your post is
about, but I thought I'd mention the BAUD rate, just in case that's the
cause of your problem.

"Pascal Goncalves" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Almeida

I too have the same problem as Pascal`s when trying to make the 276C
command my Autohelm 2000+ pilot. William, in our case, the baud rate
is 4800, and that is no problem.Both the 276C and the pilot are
confortable with this baudrate. The pilot receives and reads the
messages sent by the 276C; our problem is that the 276C is not sending
the messages it was suposed to do, namely BWC (for bearing to
waypoint) and XTE (for crosstrack error).Since my autopilot requires
these sentences for it`s operation, I read the 276C manual before
buying it, to check compatibility. The manual states clearly that it
sends these messages, so I confidently bought the 276C. To my
surprise, it didnīt work, and after checking the 276C NMEA out
sentences, I realised it sends a plethora o info, but it doesnīt send
BWC and XTE as stated in itīs manual!!!
To conclude matters, I presently have the 276C standing on the
navigation desk as nice and goo looking plotter, and use an on
faithfull Magellan 320 to do the real navigation with the pilot...
Dennis Pogson

Almeida wrote:
[...]

Don't have a 276C, but my older Garmin has various versions of NMEA in the
I/O setup program, does your 276C only have one version?

--
Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.

Pascal Goncalves

Hi Dennis,

The Map276C does not have option to specify the NMEA version. There is
a big confusion he Garmin, in some old units like my old Gpsmap
130 (and others units like G45, G12 etc) alows selection of two
versions: 1.5 and 2.0. In the NMEA V 1.5, the unit sends BWC and XTE,
and in the V 2.0 version, the unit does not sends BWC and XTE. Other
units, like the GIIIPlus and GpsV, does not have option to select NMEA
and do not sends BWC and XTE.

But, the fact is that, the version of NMEA does not have anithing with
the types of messages he should send, just Garmin had made this
option, and the fact is that, Garmin software of some new units like
GpsMap276C, Map76C and Map60C does not sends BWC and XTE and in
others, like my GpsMap76 and GpsMap176C wich specify only NMEA 2.0,
sends BWC and XTE.

There is a great confusion/mistake in Garmin people responsable for
specifying NMEA, but the new family os Garmin ploters: the GpsMap3006
and GpsMap 3010 have a good solution for this: the Advanced Nmea Setup
of these units alows the user to seecify wich messages he wants the
unit to send (one by one) and I hope Garmin implemtnts this function o
the GpsMap276C wich would best resolve in a permanent form, these NMEA
problems.

Anyway, others gps makers like Navman, Raymarine etc already have this
option since many years ago, in theirs gps/ploters.

Regards

Pascal

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message ...
Almeida wrote:
[...]

Dennis Pogson

Pascal Goncalves wrote:
[...]

Hi Pascal,

I recently bought a GPSMAP60C and it claims to support NMEA 2.3 and NMEA
3.0, but does not show BWC and XTE.

From what you are saying, Garmin are actually missing out vital commands in
their 276C models, but the older models send these commands. This seems
crazy!

Maybe their software updates will change the MNEA setup to the Advanced
version. Is this possible?

Dennis.

Pascal Goncalves

Exactly Dennis, this is what we want that Garmin does, a new and
complete Advanced Nmea Setup like the GpsMap3010, or at least, include
the BWC, XTE and VTG in the batch of NMEA always sent by the unit, as
stated in page 90 of the manual.

Pascal Goncalves wrote:
[...]

From what you are saying, Garmin are actually missing out vital commands in
their 276C models, but the older models send these commands. This seems
crazy!

Maybe their software updates will change the MNEA setup to the Advanced
version. Is this possible?

Dennis.

Almeida

Hi, I have a Map60C also, sharing the same goodies and badies. The
lack of BWC and XTE sentences is totally uncomprehensible, specially
when the 60C is sending a plethora of useless proprietary sentences.My
Autohelm 2000+ simply doesnīt work with the 60C, and I regret having
disposed of my Map76, which worked fine, having the afore mentioned
sentences. Let`s hope someone in Garmin someday take notice of
customer`s needs.I look forward to see that day coming. Otavio
Almeida.
Marco

Pascal,
Although this won't help, it is exactly why I didn't buy Garmin for my
last boat. Instead, I got a Standard Horizon CP155C, which has two
independent NMEA inputs and three independent NMEA outputs, all
configurable. The third NMEA out is even meant as a dedicated autopilot
output. The fact that it has a total of 5 NMEA connections means total
flexibilty in the setup. All NMEA sentences are really 100% standard and
there are no proprieatary sentences. Furthermore, the fact that Garmin
uses maps that are only usuable on Garmin products is another reason not
to go Garmin. After all, they can decide to abandon their system as they
did with G-charts. There is no guarantee for long term support, which
you do get with C-map and Navionics; those work on a wide range of
compatible systems.
It is a shame really, because otherwise most Garmin stuff is rather nifty.
Regards
Marco