Default Navonics vs normal paper maps

I've got a Lowrance LMS320 and I've been thinking about buying some of
these Navonics charts for it. Unfortunately, I would need the lakes
and coastline of Texas. That's 2 sets I think. $$

Anyway, my question is regarding the level of detail that these maps
provide. Are they simply electronic versions of the kinds of maps that
I see at the sporting goods stores, Hotspots etc. or do they actually
provide a lot more detail than those paper maps have.? Underwater
structures, hazards, etc?

I suppose I could take my map in hand and go to a Marine store and look
at demo of Navonics for the same area. Has someone done that or made
the comparison I'm asking about.

My feeling is that if all it is is a electronic version of what's on
paper then maybe its not really worth it. I can usually correlate
pretty well from the Mapcreate maps that I bought and other paper maps.
Its a matter of information. If there is actually more information in
the Navonics stuff then it may be worth it. I got a feeling that I'll
always want paper anyway.

tks
Don

Doug Dotson

The digital charts are made from the paper charts. If anything, they are
less accurate than the paper charts. Raster charts are just scanned paper
charts so the accuracy is about the same in terms of information. Their
registration can be off a little. . Vector charts are digitized
paper charts and do contain errors and less detail. My CMAP-NT+
charts of the ICW has many references to markers like R3 and G4.

Doug

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

The digital charts are made from the paper charts.

Actually, all US charts, paper, or digital, are produced
from a common NOAA Digital Database. This database is
available for purchase, by anyone, for a price. (Very High)
The database is always being updated, with new, and or revised
data, but is archived at fixed intervals, for distribution
to the Official NOAA Printers and Digital Chart Providers.
Archival Dates are published with the charts, so that one knows just
when the dataset was frozen for that publication.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
don

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

The digital charts are made from the paper charts.

Actually, all US charts, paper, or digital, are produced
from a common NOAA Digital Database. This database is
available for purchase, by anyone, for a price. (Very High)
The database is always being updated, with new, and or revised
data, but is archived at fixed intervals, for distribution
to the Official NOAA Printers and Digital Chart Providers.
Archival Dates are published with the charts, so that one knows just
when the dataset was frozen for that publication.

Bruce in alaska

One of the reasons for asking is that in our area on Lake Buchanan a
Navonics boat was out there plotting contours. That got me to thinking
that maybe their maps might be unique with some other value add over the
paper and other standard maps.

I'm familiar with all the scanning etc. I've done a bit of that myself
using Fugawi to scan paper in and then calibrate and then download to my
PDA with gps attachment. Unfortunately, I can't do it on my LMS320.

don
Doug

"don" wrote in message
Bruce in Alaska wrote:
[...]

Navionics has a map series for inland lakes for fishermen to use with fine
bottom contour information way beyond what is available from the government.
I have been told they started in the eastern USA and are slowly working
their way west. yes, they are doing their own detailed survey.
73
Doug K7ABX

Luis Castro

Navionics provides this FAQ at,
http://www.navionics.com/MarineChartFAQs.asp?FAQID=9

Where do you get the information you use in Navionics charts?

It varies by area, but most commonly from local hydrographic offices
and official government charts, such as NOAA, NIMA, British Admiralty,
USACE, DNR, NHS and USGS. We also use private sources such as Fishing
Hot Spots, LakeMaster and Imray paper maps.

Luis Castro

Navionics also details this on thier FAQ sheets:
http://www.navionics.com/MarineChartFAQs.asp?FAQID=17

What type of detail do your charts show?

Navionics charts show depth contours, spot soundings, navigational
aids, boat ramps, marinas, obstruction information such as reefs,
wrecks, and submergent and emergent vegetation.

Click here for examples of HotMaps.
Click here for examples of Classic and Gold Charts.

Luis Castro
Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

wrote:
[...]

[ANN] Paddle by GPS River Maps at Travel by GPS Doug Adomatis General 0 August 31st 04 02:11 PM
Fuel transfer/polishing pump Doug Dotson Cruising 408 February 2nd 04 11:58 PM
The Real Imposter! Anonymous ASA 2 November 3rd 03 08:56 AM
Paper charts are for Wannabees Per Elmsäter ASA 52 August 29th 03 11:45 AM
Practical alternative to buying paper charts? Ken Coit Cruising 7 August 21st 03 10:18 PM