BOEING377

Default Morrow SSSB-150... how to program this xcvr?

I bought n old Morrow SSSB-150 39 ch. synth HF marine radio and wonder if
anyone has info on how to program it. Is this rig from the company in Oregon
that made the early ham mobile gear and later got into Lorans? Never saw any
Morrow marine HF radios before this one. Thanks, Mark
Doug

"BOEING377" wrote in message
I bought n old Morrow SSSB-150 39 ch. synth HF marine radio and wonder if
anyone has info on how to program it. Is this rig from the company in

Oregon
that made the early ham mobile gear and later got into Lorans? Never saw

any
Morrow marine HF radios before this one. Thanks, Mark

Frequency stability was only +/- 1 PPM. Not legal these days.

73
Doug K7ABX

Doug

Gary Schafer

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:45:32 GMT, "Doug"

[...]

IImorrow started out with loran vehicle location equipment. It kind of
worked.
The ACSB equipment was built by SEA and they were responsible for the
220 band being acquired for it.

Regards
Gary

Gary Schafer

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:44:06 GMT, "Doug"
wrote:

"BOEING377" wrote in message
I bought n old Morrow SSSB-150 39 ch. synth HF marine radio and wonder if
anyone has info on how to program it. Is this rig from the company in

Oregon
that made the early ham mobile gear and later got into Lorans? Never saw

any
Morrow marine HF radios before this one. Thanks, Mark

Frequency stability was only +/- 1 PPM. Not legal these days.

73
Doug K7ABX

What's wrong with 1 ppm?

Regards
Gary
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Gary Schafer wrote:

What's wrong with 1 ppm?

Regards
Gary

1 PPM is 1 Hz/Mhz Figure at 26 Mhz your now at 26 Hz plus or minus
Now the spec for modern MF/HF SSB Commercial Radios is +/- 20 Hz, so
you out of tolerence on frequency.
Not good enough to meet current Type Acceptance Spec's.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Gary Schafer

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:16:23 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

In article ,
Gary Schafer wrote:

What's wrong with 1 ppm?

Regards
Gary

1 PPM is 1 Hz/Mhz Figure at 26 Mhz your now at 26 Hz plus or minus
Now the spec for modern MF/HF SSB Commercial Radios is +/- 20 Hz, so
you out of tolerence on frequency.
Not good enough to meet current Type Acceptance Spec's.....

Bruce in alaska

Hi Bruce,

Yes I understand the spec. But as far back as I can remember ssb being
used for marine applications the spec has been +- 20 hz. That was even
before synthesizers came to the market.

So I would guess that if the radio was specked at 1 ppm that it
probably did not cover anything above 20 mhz?? Probably only covered
through 16 mhz?

Regards
Gary
Doug

[...]

I have no recall of SEA being in the ACSSB push, but know for a fact
IIMorrow was, and ran employment ads every few months in the Portland
"Oregonian" for ACSSB engineers and technicians until shortly after UPS
acquired them. I know, as I submitted my resume in the late 80s. Perhaps
Bruce can address SEA involvement. I seem to recall IIMorrow was a
petitioner to the FCC for the 220 MHz frequency allocation which claimed it
was an unused amateur band in the Oregon area. In their area, back in the
50s and possibly even early 60s, 220 MHZ was unuseable due to military
preemptive use for the old old Nike missile system used to defend
metropolitan areas. The long since closed Camp Adair SAGE site and Mt Hebo
radar site were part of that system in the area.

73
Doug, K7ABX

Jetcap

Larry W4CSC wrote:

I just put 220.350 Mhz into the FCC Search engine and got:

What do you find when you put in BUTLER, LARRY

Bwahahahahahaha

Rick