Pete Anderson

Check out islandtimepc.com . They have a very low power 1 Ghz Windows XP
computer, and have a solution for the problems associated with 12 volt boat
power systems. I also like the fact that I can buy replacement parts for
everything they offer and can fix it myself.

Pete Anderson

Rolf wrote:

Sorry this topic has been discussed in many forms before.
I need a computer for the boat which I am going to buy ( 45 to 50 ft
cruising sailboat). I initially considered a desktop but was scared off
by the power consumption.
Now I am considering a Laptop. I want to use it to run navigation and
other boat soft ware, but I also want to use it for e-mails and for web
surfing when I have access and also to watch DVD's and CD's, so I feel
I need a Pentium 4 with Windows XP.

There is a bewildering choice of brands. One way to narrow the choice
is again power consumption from the house batteries since the computer
will be on a lot.
I can get an inverter and then plug in the power supply to that. But
that route looses about 20% of the power.
The better option is to have a DC to DC converter like one that is used
to connect a Laptop to the cigarette lighter in a car. But how much
power does that consume?
Third choice, is there a brand of Laptop eg Toshiba or others which
accepts power stratight from the House battery, ie a voltage anywhere
between 10 and 15 volts?

Johnhh

It's a real nice machine for a boat if you want to conserve energy. I
bought the parts separately though and saved over 30% off their price and
got twice the harddrive and ram.

John

Rolf wrote:

[...]

Falky foo

I have a 1.75 year old HP that has an AMD Athlon which drops to low power
(from 1.6 GHz to ~900 MHz) when the processing demand is low, which in my
case is about 90% of the time. Saves battery.

"Rolf" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Dennis Pogson

Rolf wrote:
[...]

With a 45-50ft sailboat, it's easier and cheaper to boost battery capacity
than to decrease power usage on laptops and ancillary equipment. You have
the space, and the wiring is dead easy!
Remove "nospam" from return address.

---

computer or not? Parallax Cruising 18 December 6th 04 10:37 AM
DESIGNING PORTAL CREATION DATABASE SHOPPING CART ANIMAT Ad-Aero General 0 May 19th 04 02:10 AM
Announce: 3.2Ghz P4 Computer That Fits in the Palm of Your Hand Stealth Computer Marketplace 1 April 5th 04 03:43 AM
Press Release: 3.2Ghz P4 Computer That Fits in the Palm of Your Hand Stealth Computer Electronics 8 March 29th 04 06:05 AM
Computer Install on 24' Power Boat Jim Pook Electronics 4 October 28th 03 05:08 AM