Dennis Pogson

Default Wireless GPS?

When are we going to see a wireless gps that will connect to my new Centrino
laptop?

Dennis.
Remove "nospam" from return address.

---

Dave Baker

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:30:54 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

When are we going to see a wireless gps that will connect to my new Centrino
laptop?

Got Bluetooth? If so, look at the Delorme Blue Logger.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.
Dennis Pogson

wrote:

When are we going to see a wireless gps that will connect to my new
Centrino laptop?

Got Bluetooth? If so, look at the Delorme Blue Logger.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.

No Bluetooth, just the Centrino's 802.11b protocol from the Intel
Pro/Wireless 2100 network connection. This is what Centrino is all about,
but I suspect that Bluetooth has a considerable marketing/technology lead on
Centrino at the moment.

Laptops with the Centrino technology are now being sold in huge quantities,
but as usual, the peripherals manufacturers don't seem to have caught up.

Dennis.
Remove "nospam" from return address.

---

Dave Baker

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:08:46 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

Laptops with the Centrino technology are now being sold in huge quantities,
but as usual, the peripherals manufacturers don't seem to have caught up.

You an always pick up a bluetooth dongle & plug it into your USB port -
doesn't take up much room & will give you your wireless connectivity. I
picked one up for less than US$50 if I remember correctly.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.
John Proctor

On 2004-12-06 21:08:46 +1100, "Dennis Pogson"

wrote:

When are we going to see a wireless gps that will connect to my new
Centrino laptop?

Got Bluetooth? If so, look at the Delorme Blue Logger.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.

No Bluetooth, just the Centrino's 802.11b protocol from the Intel
Pro/Wireless 2100 network connection. This is what Centrino is all about,
but I suspect that Bluetooth has a considerable marketing/technology lead on
Centrino at the moment.

Laptops with the Centrino technology are now being sold in huge quantities,
but as usual, the peripherals manufacturers don't seem to have caught up.

Dennis.
Remove "nospam" from return address.

---

Dennis,

802.11(a) (b) or (g) are networking protocols. These are complex
connection and connectionless (datagram) protocols even though mostly
implemented in silicon these days. OTH Bluetooth is a simple protocol
which replaces wire connections (e.g. printer, instrument and yes GPS
type connections). Think of it as a wireless USB and you have it. There
are several GPS's and instruments that connect via B/T and given the
cost of setting up a B/T connection on a laptop with USB (D-Link B/T
USB dongle) is trivial. This is the way to go. Centrino is purely INTEL
marketing wank!

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Dennis Pogson

On 2004-12-06 21:08:46 +1100, "Dennis Pogson"

wrote:

[...]

That was my impression too John!

Dennis.

---

Me

In article ,
"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

This is the way to go. Centrino
is purely INTEL marketing wank!

That was my impression too John!

Dennis.

Yep, Intel just couldn't come to market, two years late, and say
"We have that too, .... Now!" so they invented Centrino, by putting
802.11X all in silicon, and sticking it in their chipsets.

Me