Karl-Hugo Weesberg

Default How tom make the electronics EMP-proof ???

You know, the stupid French may test a nuclear weapon again and the
EMP may destroy my boat's electronics.

So it's better to make the electronics EMP-proof.

How can I do this?
BOEING377

vacuum tubes, your only hope.
Jim

Karl-Hugo Weesberg wrote:
You know, the stupid French may test a nuclear weapon again and the
EMP may destroy my boat's electronics.

So it's better to make the electronics EMP-proof.

How can I do this?

If your boat is close enough to be affected by the EMP, I feel fairly
confident you will NOT have a boat to go back to.

-Jim
Meindert Sprang

"Jim" wrote in message ...
If your boat is close enough to be affected by the EMP, I feel fairly
confident you will NOT have a boat to go back to.

Sure you have. If a moderate (what is that anyway) nuclear bomb explodes at
high altitude, say 30km, there will be hardly any physical damage on the
ground, but in a radius of about 1000km, all electronics will be destroyed
because of an EMP.

Meindert

Gordon Wedman

The French can't possibly be contemplating an above ground explosion??
That's against international treaties and would spark a lot of outrage.

If you have a below ground test, say 1km down, will EMP be a problem?

It seems to me that most discussion around EMP is related to wartime above
ground explosions. In that situation most of us will have other worries.

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in message ...
If your boat is close enough to be affected by the EMP, I feel fairly
confident you will NOT have a boat to go back to.

Sure you have. If a moderate (what is that anyway) nuclear bomb explodes
at
high altitude, say 30km, there will be hardly any physical damage on the
ground, but in a radius of about 1000km, all electronics will be destroyed
because of an EMP.

Meindert

Me

In article wsvgd.21579$VA5.4785@clgrps13,
"Gordon Wedman" wrote:

It seems to me that most discussion around EMP is related to wartime above
ground explosions. In that situation most of us will have other worries.

Wait a minute here, there have been only Three Wartime Nuke explosions
in history, and they were in August 1945, and the original Nevada Test.
EMP wasn't discovered untill the first Hydrogen Bomb tests in the South
Pacific, years later. Let us get our FACTS Straight before we go around
expounding our expertiese........

Me
Rob

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
The French can't possibly be contemplating an above ground explosion??
That's against international treaties and would spark a lot of outrage.

Since when have the French worried about international treaties or opinion
if it interfered with their wishes. Didn't they sink a Green Peace boat in
New Zealand killing a crew member so that it wouldn't protest an H bomb
test. I will assume that there was sarcasm in your post and that I was too
dense to see it.

Rob

Wayne.B

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:54:46 GMT, Me wrote:

EMP wasn't discovered untill the first Hydrogen Bomb tests in the South
Pacific, years later.

=========================

More precisely, it wasn't discovered until after the first high
altitude tests in 1962. The tests caused scattered power outages in
Hawaii 800 miles away.

Ed Price

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
The French can't possibly be contemplating an above ground explosion??
That's against international treaties and would spark a lot of outrage.

Since when have the French worried about international treaties or
opinion
if it interfered with their wishes.

Why single the French out? Since 2001, the US has broken or extricated
itself from one treaty after another.

Well, it's difficult to extricate one's country from a morass of stupidity
in one action; we have to whittle away the crap one treaty at a time. And if
the French are offended, well, they know how to shrug, eh?

Ed

Jack Painter

"Ed Price" wrote
Well, it's difficult to extricate one's country from a morass of stupidity
in one action; we have to whittle away the crap one treaty at a time. And

if
the French are offended, well, they know how to shrug, eh?

French set new security-level: HIDE

French security conditions (lowest to highest risk):

1. Hide
2. Retreat
3. Surrender
4. Collaborate