Nigel

I spent yesterday poking about and generally trying to work out how it's
wired, and I found what I think is a relay linking the switched positives. I
guess this if were my VSR needs to go. I also intend to fit an AirX wind
generator to keep the batteries charged, so should I move this link to the
non switched side. Once again, thanks for your help.
I've updated the page http://www.jassira.com/battery_switches.htm with a few
more pictures.

Jelle

Nigel wrote:

I spent yesterday poking about and generally trying to work out how it's
wired, and I found what I think is a relay linking the switched positives.
I guess this if were my VSR needs to go. I also intend to fit an AirX wind
generator to keep the batteries charged, so should I move this link to the
non switched side. Once again, thanks for your help.
I've updated the page http://www.jassira.com/battery_switches.htm with a
few more pictures.

It sure looks like a relay, but what i find a bit frightening is that it is
not enclosed. A relay that has to switch big currents (don't know if this
one will) will have a tendency to 'arc' when the relay switches off (the
current keeps flowing through ionized gas) therefore starting relays are
encased and filled with a gas that minimizes this arcing.

As for your schema, probably this is where you'd want to place your shiny
new widget, but I am not sure I understand your wiring scheme.

I have heard/read about installations where the housebank where disconnected
from the starting banks by using a automotive starter relay. When the
engine was on (and the batteries chargeing) the relay woul connect the
housebanks to the starting battery allowing it to be charged.
This works most of the time except in certain circumstances. I guess these
are what your voltage sensitive relay widget is supposed to overcome. So
probably it goes where the simple relay was, but please refer to the
installation instructions of your shiny widget first.

Can I assume that the chargeing circuit of your setup looks something like
this?:

+--------------------[relay]----
| | |
| \ switch \ switch
| | : | :
(alternator) [starting] : [house] :
| | : | :
| \ switch \ switch
| | |
--------------------------------

I can also imagine a ciruit with your VSR that looks like this:

+-----------------------
| |
| ------[VSR]------
| | |
| \ switch \ switch
| | : | :
(alternator) [starting] : [house] :
| | : | :
| \ switch \ switch
| | |
--------------------------------
In this case you cannot replace the relay with a vsr, as you have a
different circuit now. But please draw out your own circuit before you
start replacing anything.
Be carefull with this stuff, a shortcircuit that is not caught by the
breakers can easily cause a fire.

--
vriendelijke groeten/kind regards,

Jelle

begin msblaster.pif
John Proctor

On 2004-10-17 14:18:15 +1000, Mac said:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:03:32 +0000, John Proctor wrote:

[snip]

A survey requirement in Australia for some states is to have both
positive and negitive terminals switched. This is because it completely
disconnects the battery from the system when switched off. This avoids
any possibility of a leakage path except for a switch failure.

Interrupting just one pole also avoids any possibility of a leakage path
except for a switch failure.

--Mac

Thes same survey requirements also demand 3 separate battery systems,
engine, house, radio as well. I have never been able to understand why
the two pole (negative and positive) requirement was there other than
to ensure that the batteries were completely disconnected from the
system. No one I've ever talked to could explain why to me in a
satisfactory way.

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Ronald Raygun

Nigel wrote:

I spent yesterday poking about and generally trying to work out how it's
wired, and I found what I think is a relay linking the switched positives.

Well, it has three fat wires going to it, and some thin ones.
You seem to be saying two of the fat ones go to the switched
positives. Where do the others go? If it's a relay, what
energises its coil? Does it go to a switch of some sort, so that
*you* control the relay? Perhaps it's *already* voltage sensitive
and disconnects the alternator from the batteries unless the
alternator voltage is high enough.

One thing that strikes me as odd about this relay is that it looks
like its coil has unusually fat wire. This makes me suspect it's
not a "normal" relay at all, but some kind of "diode" like the ones
that regulators have in them, in other words something that switches
off if current is flowing the wrong way. Is there perhaps (can't
tell from the photo) a thinner winding underneath the thick one?

By the way, what exactly is it you wish your new VSR to do?
Which voltage do you want it to monitor, and when do you want
it to switch on and when off?