Marc

Default Batttery combiner and charger setup

I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

Doug Dotson

Yes. The purpose of a combiner is to connect the starter battery
to the charger when it needs sharging. Either get rid of the combiner
(recommended) or remove the charging connection from the
charger to the starter battery.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Marc" wrote in message
I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

johnh

Doug, could you be more specific, why do you recommend getting rid of the
combiner?

I would think the problem is that the charger takes its lead from the main
bank which probably requires more charging than the starter and consequently
the starter bank is being over charged.

I know of combiners, isolators and echo chargers, but do not know which is
the best. Without one of them, you need dual outputs from both the charger
and alternator or you need a 1/2/both switch which is no longer the
recommended approach. I use an echo charger and only connect the charger to
the main bank and it works great.

Don't slam me hear, I'm still trying to get a handle on best practices, and
why, myself.

John

"Marc" wrote in message
I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

David&Joan

John's diagnosis is probably correct. And there is nothing wrong with a
battery combiner. It is far better than an isolater (no voltage drop) and
just as effective as the Echo Charger.

David

"Marc" wrote in message
I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

Don WA5NGP

I would be a bit suspicious of the quality of the starting battery.
My experience has been that when batteries get on their last legs (and
need to be changed anyway) that they seem to boil away the water a
lot. It seems that no matter how you stay on top of keeping it filled
it seems to boil away. I suspect that it may be due to sulfation
buildup that creates something like an internal short, heat, and loss
of water.

Good luck
Don

"Marc" wrote in message
I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

Doug Dotson

I don't like them. They don;t provide an optimal
charge for the start battery. A better solution is to get an Eliminator
from
AmplePower or an EchoCharge from Balmar. They provide a
better charge for the starting battery. Depending upon your use,
using the second tap on the charger is great if you get to shorepower
regularly. If you are away from shorepower for extended
periods then charging you house bank from the alternator
with an Eliminator or EchoCharge is a better solution.
The problem with your current setup is that the starting battery is
being charged by both outputs of the shorepower charger. As such
it cannot determine when to taper off the charge on just the starting
battery.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Marc" wrote in message
I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

Folklore killer

"Doug Dotson" blabbered in message-id
the following folklore and rubbish.......

This post is a perfect example of why one should not seek expert advice on
usenet. It is full of idiots such as Doug who thinks he knows it all.

I don't like them. They don;t provide an optimal
charge for the start battery. A better solution is to get an Eliminator
from
AmplePower or an EchoCharge from Balmar. They provide a
better charge for the starting battery. Depending upon your use,
using the second tap on the charger is great if you get to shorepower
regularly. If you are away from shorepower for extended
periods then charging you house bank from the alternator
with an Eliminator or EchoCharge is a better solution.
The problem with your current setup is that the starting battery is
being charged by both outputs of the shorepower charger. As such
it cannot determine when to taper off the charge on just the starting
battery.

Doug
s/v Callista

1. A start battery does not need an optimal charge.

2. If it did then you are correct in that the Eliminator from Amplepower would
provide such a charge. That is the _only_ correct statement in your entire
post.

3. The Echo Charge is made by Cruising Equipment (now part of Xantrex) not
Balmar.

4. The echo charge does not provide an "optimal charge" for the engine battery.
It simply copies the charge profile of its input subject to a 15 amp (7.5 amp
for the 24 volt model) current limit. Therefore if the alternator output is at
14.4 volts, then so is the output of the Echo Charge. No matter how long it is
on. There is therefore _no_ advantage over a battery combiner.

5. The Xantrex charger does have separate outputs but they are _not_ separately
controlled and the charger does _not_ measure the voltage or current on each
output separately so removing his battery combiner will make no difference
whatsoever. The charger will already be holding both batteries at the same
voltage.

6. Your statement that QUOTE "The problem with your current setup is that
the starting battery is being charged by both outputs of the shorepower
charger. As such it cannot determine when to taper off the charge on just the
starting battery" /QUOTE....... is total garbage for the reasons given above.

7. Your statement QUOTE "Depending upon your use, using the second tap on the
charger is great if you get to shorepower regularly" /QUOTE..... is no
different than using the battery combiner he already has. Again for the reasons
given above.

Now to genuinely help the original poster.

Don's explanation is almost certainly the correct one. The engine start battery
is duff. Almost certainly sulphated up. The first major symptom of this is one
shorted cell which then leaves the other 5 being overcharged and they lose
water at a very fast rate.

David also is correct. There is nothing wrong with a battery combiner.

Now then Doug, I dare you to argue back.

:-)
Marc

OK , I see your point. I have 2 choices. I can keep the combiner and
use only one tap from the charger. The result is a starting battery
that is never optimally charged. Or I can lose the combiner, use both
taps of the charger and get optimally charged battery banks, but have
to deal with the inconvenience of manual switching.

"Marc" wrote in message
I suspect something is wrong, but need confirmation. I have three
deep cycle wet group 24's as the house bank and 1 deep cycle wet
group 24 as the starting bank. A 150 amp combiner is installed
between the banks and both banks are connected to individual legs of a
xantrex 20 amp charger.

The boat sits in a slip with shore power connected, charger on, and a
reefer running 24/7 off the house bank.

I am losing electrolyte faster in the starting bank than the house
bank.

Question : Since I have a combiner, should the charger be hooked up
to both banks? Could this be causing the electrolyte loss?

Geoffrey W. Schultz

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

I don't like them. They don;t provide an optimal
charge for the start battery. A better solution is to get an
Eliminator from
AmplePower or an EchoCharge from Balmar. They provide a
better charge for the starting battery.

What do you base this upon?

-- Geoff