just me

Default Raymarine electrical damage

A recent lightning storm (not an unusual occurance in Texas) knocked out
most all of my Raymarine instruments. ST 7000+ autopilot display (not the
course computer), ST 60 Multi (2), Wind (2), Speed, Depth. What is strange
(to me at least) is that the Tridata, which is wired directly to the
transducers and is connected by Seatalk to the others, was not affected.
The repair costs are $900. My question is what, if anything, can be done to
protect this from happening again. The boat WAS NOT struck by lightning.
There were numerous airbursts and other boats were struck directly (none
nearby). Ideas????

Wayne.B

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:40:10 GMT, "just me"
wrote:
My question is what, if anything, can be done to
protect this from happening again. The boat WAS NOT struck by lightning.
There were numerous airbursts and other boats were struck directly (none
nearby). Ideas????

Be glad it was not a direct hit, frequently they punch holes in the
bottom of the boat and you get a sinking feeling. Other than
disconnecting everything and taking it home, there is little you can
do to protect against induced EMF damage.

Chris Newport

On Friday 01 October 2004 12:40 am in rec.boats.electronics just me wrote:

A recent lightning storm (not an unusual occurance in Texas) knocked out
most all of my Raymarine instruments. ST 7000+ autopilot display (not the
course computer), ST 60 Multi (2), Wind (2), Speed, Depth. What is
strange (to me at least) is that the Tridata, which is wired directly to
the transducers and is connected by Seatalk to the others, was not
affected.
The repair costs are $900. My question is what, if anything, can be done
protect this from happening again. The boat WAS NOT struck by lightning.
There were numerous airbursts and other boats were struck directly (none
nearby). Ideas????

Such failures are caused by voltage spikes being induced
into long wiring runs. The solution is simple, you need
a ferrite ring for each cable, take 2 or 3 turns through
the ring and support it to prevent the weight causing
stress. The rings should be located as close as possible
to the sensitive electronics, less than a foot .

This also helps to keep out RF interference.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

Jack Painter

wrote
A recent lightning storm (not an unusual occurance in Texas) knocked out
most all of my Raymarine instruments. ST 7000+ autopilot display (not the
course computer), ST 60 Multi (2), Wind (2), Speed, Depth. What is

strange
(to me at least) is that the Tridata, which is wired directly to the
transducers and is connected by Seatalk to the others, was not affected.
The repair costs are $900. My question is what, if anything, can be done

protect this from happening again. The boat WAS NOT struck by lightning.
There were numerous airbursts and other boats were struck directly (none
nearby). Ideas????

Hi, equipment you suspect was not affected, probably was. The latency of
lightning damage may have caused more problems than are presently apparent
from such a nearby strike.

Unplugging your sensitive equipment is the only sure way to protect it from
lightning. Equipment designed to be extremely robust (a high withstand on
the front-end electronics) could possibly benefit from surge suppressors
made for DC systems. Others would likely fail even with expensive surge
suppression, as the clamping voltage level is still high, and barely fast
enough to handle any form of induced lightning energy. The surge suppressors
are made for power line surges, and while they could help, I would suggest
you ask your equipment manufacturers before you apply expensive treatment in
that respect. In the bonding department, you might prevent sharing a charge
between equipments if the units were well bonded to a single point ground.
That's a tough design to include in a yacht, where aesthetics and available
space are always at odds. In that case, refer to the first suggestion ;-)

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM
FS: NEW Raymarine depth sounder / fishfinder for sale with no reserve on eBay in Maryland Peter Kennedy Marketplace 0 March 13th 04 02:27 PM
Fishfinder??? Bobsprit ASA 31 January 26th 04 09:06 PM
Raymarine A/P and Seatalk Failire Glenn Ashmore Electronics 7 September 16th 03 03:11 PM
Raymarine vs. Navman Spd., Dpth, Wind Package drewr3737atnowhere Electronics 3 September 16th 03 02:23 AM