=|8-\)~

Default Volvo Penta 5.7GSi Alarm Problem

Hello, I have a Monterey 242 with the Volvo Penta 5.7GSi engine.. After
suffering a lightning strike near our house we have had to replace our
phones, circuit board on our heater etc..

We also had our boat plugged into the house current because we were getting
ready to leave on vacation the next morning..

I had started up the boat and it worked fine the day before we left, but
when we got up to Lake Powell in Utah. We had the following problems..

The ProTech 4 Battery Charger / Inverter was not charging.. Some $220.00
later to have the old one replace under warranty fixed that problem when I
got home..

The outdrive would not lower.. This turned out to be due to the 50 amp
circuit breaker being kicked.. Simple there just pushed it back in and that
was solved.. But then we discovered that the alarm that sounds when you
have either low oil pressure or high engine temperature would not shut off..

Since this alarm came on from the time we turned the key on even before we
started the engine, I doubted that it could be from either of those
problems.. and felt that it had something to due with the lightning
strike..

Normally this alarm will beep twice when you turn on the key to let you know
that the system is working, but now it's on all the time.. It sounds a lot
like a backup warning device.. Beep Beep Beep... at 120 decibels.. Very
annoying..

Well we took the boat over to the dock and let it run and kept an eye on the
temp, and oil pressure to make sure everything was fine and it was.. Full
of new clean oil, and also replaced the impeller just incase there was not
enough water flow.. Still the alarm would not shut off.. At this point we
clipped the wire to the alarm and at last had silence.. But was still
worried..

I called my boat dealer, but being on a Sunday I did not hear back from him
until Tuesday morning.. He said that he thought that maybe it was due to a
sensor being bad.. And that I should try to disconnect each one and see if
it goes away..

Anyone else have a similar problem like this, and if so how did you fix it..
Thanks for your time and help..

--
Bill White / KM6SX
Remove the "A" from e mail address for correct address