DMO111

Default Battery Maintenance

I've owned a DieHard battery for a few months now and am wondering if I'm
supposed to be doing anything to it periodically, like adding water or acid to
it. I'm really a novice at this and could use some help.

Here are the battery specs:

DieHard
Marine Deep Cycle
# 27494

It has two rectangular plastic / rubber caps. When I lift them off, I can see
three holes under each cap.

I use the battery to run a small trolling motor on my canoe. It's been working
great, but today the battery got tipped while in my car and a small amount of
liquid dripped out. Hence my question.

Steve

Under normal service you should check the electrolite level regularly
and add ONLY WATER to replace is lost through charging. NEVER ADD
ELECTROLITE!

The "small amount" that "dripped" out shouldn't require replacement,
considering the total volume of electrolite solution in the battery. The
battery safty vent caps are designed to prevent gross spills when the
battery is tipped over..

Leave the electrolite in the autoparts store, for knowledgeable battery
rebuilders (if there is such a thing).

Aside from that, your "operating time" on your electric trolling motor
should give you an indication of when this battery is running out of
"Deep Cyles". Try to avoid complete discharges and once it is low,
recharge as soon as possible. Nothing worse than leaving a low or dead
battery for long periods without a charge. A proper battery charger is
also important (but that is another subject).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM
battery maintenance, old school style BOEING377 Electronics 6 July 27th 03 11:13 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM