Dave Baker

Default Any AIS newsgroups/mailing lists/discussion forums?

I'm looking for the above. Any suggestions.

In particular I'm looking for the following:

AIS that can take differential GPS input.

AIS that can output fast rates - every 1 second would be good.

AIS with 2 way messaging (probably all units can handle this)

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.
NIFFOCBT

I have never seen any AIS posts here. I have looked several times myself. AIS
is considered a shipboard piece of electronic equipment. Most people that post
here are light marine boaters.

Brian
Remove NOJUNK from Email for responses via email.
Jack Painter

"Dave Baker" wrote

(AIS will eventually drift down to small boat users, I'm sure - I've

watched
the prices go down from US$20k to US$4k in the last 3 years, so it's

getting
close. I'd be considering an AIS if it would stop me getting mown down by

larger vessel that would otherwise have trouble seeing me).

It's less than $1,000US for a non-GPS AIS receiver, slightly more for
transceiver w/GPS. See:

http://www.sealinks.net/SL162BPage.htm

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Dave Baker

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:45:28 -0400, "Jack Painter" wrote:

It's less than $1,000US for a non-GPS AIS receiver, slightly more for
transceiver w/GPS. See:

http://www.sealinks.net/SL162BPage.htm

Are the transceivers actually available yet? I spoke to this company about 6
months ago when they only had the receivers, and asked them to contact me
when the transceivers were ready. I just clicked on the Order Now button, but
got a broken link. Then again, I'm presently in Borneo on a pretty bad 28.8k
dial-up line.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.

Jack Painter

"Dave Baker" wrote
"Jack Painter" wrote:

It's less than $1,000US for a non-GPS AIS receiver, slightly more for
transceiver w/GPS. See:

http://www.sealinks.net/SL162BPage.htm

Are the transceivers actually available yet? I spoke to this company about

6
months ago when they only had the receivers, and asked them to contact me
when the transceivers were ready. I just clicked on the Order Now button,

but
got a broken link. Then again, I'm presently in Borneo on a pretty bad

28.8k
dial-up line.

Dave

Yes the "order now" link is broken on the page I referenced. But from "shop"
on the menu bar at left, links to puchase do work. I am not familiar with
that company or its products, and was merely aware of their offerings. Good
luck.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

NIFFOCBT

I would like to see their FCC "Permission Slip". Looks to me like this is a
backyard unit not type approved for anything other than the backyard. Be leary
before purchasing this one. If this unit is going on a IMO vessel make sure it
is IMO approved (look for the wheel mark). If being used in the US make FCC
and Coast guard have their stamp of approval too.
Brian
Remove NOJUNK from Email for responses via email.
Dave Baker

On 06 Aug 2004 00:32:54 GMT, OJUNK (NIFFOCBT) wrote:

I have never seen any AIS posts here. I have looked several times myself. AIS
is considered a shipboard piece of electronic equipment. Most people that post
here are light marine boaters.

One other interesting development has been in Singapore - they will require
all boats to be fitted with "transponders" in order to identify them.

This link has some info on it

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/23532.asp

though when I read it in the paper yesterday I thought they said they had
already approved the installation, and it was even going to be fitted on
pleasure craft.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find more details on these transponders.
Personally I think it would be a mistake if they weren't AIS compatible as
there would then be 2 systems that couldn't talk to each other.

Ah, here's a link that is worded slightly differently

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/top...265164,00.html

"So in due course, about 3,000 small vessels - including tug boats, pleasure
craft and passenger ferries - will be tagged with low-cost electronic sensors
that will let the authorities track and identify each boat."

Again, no word on whether boats will be able to identify each other.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.

med sailing forums? Charles Cox Cruising 0 December 29th 03 04:58 PM
Other good Sailing Forums? MM General 1 October 5th 03 05:17 PM
Announce: Ocean cruising forums reformatted Bob ASA 0 July 31st 03 07:20 AM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM