Dave Baker

Default Any AIS newsgroups/mailing lists/discussion forums?

On 06 Aug 2004 00:32:54 GMT, OJUNK (NIFFOCBT) wrote:

I have never seen any AIS posts here. I have looked several times myself. AIS
is considered a shipboard piece of electronic equipment. Most people that post
here are light marine boaters.

One other interesting development has been in Singapore - they will require
all boats to be fitted with "transponders" in order to identify them.

This link has some info on it

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/23532.asp

though when I read it in the paper yesterday I thought they said they had
already approved the installation, and it was even going to be fitted on
pleasure craft.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find more details on these transponders.
Personally I think it would be a mistake if they weren't AIS compatible as
there would then be 2 systems that couldn't talk to each other.

Ah, here's a link that is worded slightly differently

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/top...265164,00.html

"So in due course, about 3,000 small vessels - including tug boats, pleasure
craft and passenger ferries - will be tagged with low-cost electronic sensors
that will let the authorities track and identify each boat."

Again, no word on whether boats will be able to identify each other.

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.