Junior Member

Location: Edmonton, AB
Default 2010 Bayliner 185

I recently tried to start my boat and there was nothing. Everything dead. I purchased a new battery thinking that was the problem. Installed the new battery. Made sure all connections were good. made sure no blown fuses. Still absolutely nothing to turn the engine over. Radio works, blower works. I have no idea now what the problem could be. I am into my third day of holidays, and my boat won't start. Any tips from anyone would be appretiated. Thank you!
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Patrick Lawson" wrote in message

I recently tried to start my boat and there was nothing. Everything
dead. I purchased a new battery thinking that was the problem. Installed
the new battery. Made sure all connections were good. made sure no blown
fuses. Still absolutely nothing to turn the engine over. Radio works,
blower works. I have no idea now what the problem could be. I am into my
third day of holidays, and my boat won't start. Any tips from anyone
would be appretiated. Thank you!

Do you hear any clicking sound near the engine (start relay)? If not, the
relay may be defective or the circuit from keyswitch to relay. If you hear a
click, the starter motor may be stuck, which can also be observed by a
massive voltage drop on your battery.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:11:27 +0100, Patrick Lawson
wrote:

I recently tried to start my boat and there was nothing. Everything
dead. I purchased a new battery thinking that was the problem. Installed
the new battery. Made sure all connections were good. made sure no blown
fuses. Still absolutely nothing to turn the engine over. Radio works,
blower works. I have no idea now what the problem could be. I am into my
third day of holidays, and my boat won't start. Any tips from anyone
would be appretiated. Thank you!

Does the boat have a neutral interlock that prevents starting the
engine unless the shift lever is in neutral? If so, the interlock
switch may be broken, or the shift lever may not be in the true
neutral position.

If the cable from engine to control panel goes through any connectors,
the start contacts in a connector may be dirty - disconnect and
reconnect any such connectors several times to remove corrosion.

I once pulled the start switch wire off the starter solenoid while
checking the oil level (dipstick close to starter).

Have you done any work recently that may have disturbed any wiring
related to the engine or controls?

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

2007 Bayliner 185 Idle Problem [email protected] General 8 April 26th 07 10:28 AM
I need propeller help with a 185 hp mercruiser Tim Cruising 0 November 8th 05 01:54 AM
Bayliner Capri 185 hanson General 7 July 30th 04 07:01 PM
Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
Crusader 185 F/V KAMIN General 2 March 23rd 04 03:36 AM