posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Gas Tank Sender Question

Not really "electronic" but...
I was going along and suddenly my gas gauge flipped to the max.
The sender is resistive type with "wiper." I disassembled it and found
nothing wrong. Checked the ground connection to the tank, as well as
the wiper connection. All appeared to be in order.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Frank,
Depending on the vehicle, it is not uncommon to use a voltage regulator in the gauge assembly, as raw battery voltage moves around
25%. If the regulator fails, the gauge will read max fuel.
Steve

"frank1492" wrote in message ...
Not really "electronic" but...
I was going along and suddenly my gas gauge flipped to the max.
The sender is resistive type with "wiper." I disassembled it and found
nothing wrong. Checked the ground connection to the tank, as well as
the wiper connection. All appeared to be in order.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi Frank,

American fuel senders usually have a high resistance when the tank is empty
and a low resistance when the tank is full. A short on the sender wiring
would make that type of gauge show maximum.

I suggest that you disconnect the sender wire at the sender and see if the
gauge still shows full. If so, disconnect the sender wire right at the
gauge and see if the gauge still shows full. If the gauge still shows full
with the sender wire disconnected from the gauge then the gauge is stuffed.

--

Best Regards,

Bert van den Berg
CruzPro Ltd.
www.cruzpro.com
13 Burgundy Park Avenue
Henderson 0612
New Zealand

"frank1492" wrote in message
Not really "electronic" but...
I was going along and suddenly my gas gauge flipped to the max.
The sender is resistive type with "wiper." I disassembled it and found
nothing wrong. Checked the ground connection to the tank, as well as
the wiper connection. All appeared to be in order.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi NZ-
With the sender wire disconnected the gauge reads zero so I know
it's not the gauge. So I would guess the sender wire is shorted to
ground, would that make sense?
I think I need to examine the sender again to see if some of
the insulation has deteriorated.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:42:08 +1200, "Bert van den Berg"
wrote:

Hi Frank,

American fuel senders usually have a high resistance when the tank is empty
and a low resistance when the tank is full. A short on the sender wiring
would make that type of gauge show maximum.

I suggest that you disconnect the sender wire at the sender and see if the
gauge still shows full. If so, disconnect the sender wire right at the
gauge and see if the gauge still shows full. If the gauge still shows full
with the sender wire disconnected from the gauge then the gauge is stuffed.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Steve:
I would not have guessed this. I am going to examine the sender
again and if I find everything in order, I will look to the gauge.
Thanks.
Frank

"frank1492" wrote in message ...
Not really "electronic" but...
I was going along and suddenly my gas gauge flipped to the max.
The sender is resistive type with "wiper." I disassembled it and found
nothing wrong. Checked the ground connection to the tank, as well as
the wiper connection. All appeared to be in order.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I have a '96 Harley Road King that just suffered the same fault.....I wouldn't have guessed it either, but after replacing the
gauge with success, I disassembled (destroyed) the old gauge and low and behold.... a VR. Live and learn.
Steve

"frank1492" wrote in message ...
Not really "electronic" but...
I was going along and suddenly my gas gauge flipped to the max.
The sender is resistive type with "wiper." I disassembled it and found
nothing wrong. Checked the ground connection to the tank, as well as
the wiper connection. All appeared to be in order.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Frank

aux gas tank (use an outboard tank for an I/O) Josh Assing General 1 September 21st 08 01:05 AM
Gas Tank Question? Dick General 5 February 21st 08 02:09 PM
Question about replacement gas tank. jabadoodle Boat Building 6 January 12th 06 05:36 AM
Question about replacement gas tank. jabadoodle General 5 January 9th 06 11:55 PM
gas tank question Jason General 34 September 27th 03 05:03 PM