posted to rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Ian Ian is offline

Default May a "landlubber" comment? - was[ Help create better charts]

On 5 July, 20:55, Bruce in alaska wrote:

Most of the yahoos

Do you think you could try to steer clear of personal abuse, please?
It doesn't help the discussion.

who advocate this non-standard Field
Data Collection, have little or NO CLUE, how the Big Boys do it, and how
the results are correlated into modern Charts.

No, we don't care. Or rather, we know that it would be nice if UKHO
resurveyed the who of the UK coastline to modern standards, accept
that this isn't going to happen - particularly at the resolutions and
in the places most useful to yachts - and will cheerfully accept less
rigorously derive information on the basis that it's better than
nothing.

There is a long and noble tradition of crowd-sourced surveys here. I
have a set of Clyde Cruising Club sketch charts which were put
together over decades from the contributions of hundreds of yachtsmen.
They remain by far the most detailed information available in many
places.

Ian
posted to rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising,sci.geo.satellite-nav

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 06:39:02 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

There is a long and noble tradition of crowd-sourced surveys here. I
have a set of Clyde Cruising Club sketch charts which were put
together over decades from the contributions of hundreds of yachtsmen.
They remain by far the most detailed information available in many
places.

Otherwise known as Russian Roulette. No thanks.

It is easy to take the position that *all* charting should be done to
state-of-the-art, professional standards. There are many parts of
the world where that is not going to happen however, certainly not in
our life time, probably not ever.

What is your solution for cruising those areas?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising,sci.geo.satellite-nav

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:35:12 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

There is a long and noble tradition of crowd-sourced surveys here. I
have a set of Clyde Cruising Club sketch charts which were put
together over decades from the contributions of hundreds of yachtsmen.
They remain by far the most detailed information available in many
places.

Otherwise known as Russian Roulette. No thanks.

It is easy to take the position that *all* charting should be done to
state-of-the-art, professional standards. There are many parts of
the world where that is not going to happen however, certainly not in
our life time, probably not ever.

What is your solution for cruising those areas?

1. My own navigation and instruments.
2. Entering with good mid-day light.
3. Following well-crewed boats with more draft.
4. Aerial photos.
With a grain of salt:
5. Cruising guides with a well-established track record.
6. Local knowledge from people I know and trust.
7. Local knowledge from other sources under advisement.

No one could argue with 1 and 2 but some would take issue with #3, a
last resort at best for me. Aerial photos of the Google Earth variety
have potential in some areas with good resolution if we could figure
out how to download the imagery and index it by lat/lon.

Items 5, 6 and 7 seem like a contradiction since they are often a form
of "crowd sourced" data that you claim to distrust, particularly the
caveat about a well-established track record. Track records are most
certainly a form of group opinion and feedback.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising,sci.geo.satellite-nav

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:06:28 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

Google Earth images can be downloaded and cached.

Can you explain how to do that?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising,sci.geo.satellite-nav

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Google Earth images can be downloaded and cached.

Can you explain how to do that?

Our Linux hackers use Google Earth "tiles" as well as many other sources
for Maemo Mapper:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/maemo-mapper/

which will use any standard tiling map server and will cache as many
"last tiles" as you care to have memory full of.

Our current source of map repositories we can access has URLs listed
he

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=5209

including Google Maps various types.

Lots of interesting information is also in these posts that may interest
you.....

Maemo Mapper is just like having a GPS connected Google Earth, Virtual
Earth and other mappers....right in your pocket. It's about the finest
free program we ever got from the Linux hackers of the little NOkia N800
tablets.

A passing steward noticed my Runway Finder tracking on the little tablet
in my seat on a recent flight, with my little bluetooth GPS receiver
sitting on the window sill next to me. She must have told the copilot
about it and he came back for a look. There we were on the current
aeronautical chart flying along towards our destination.

"Can you bring that up into the cockpit?", he asked. I picked up the
tablet and GPS puck and followed him into fantasyland. We compared my
fix on Maemo Mapper to his fix on a million bucks worth of airplane to
discover they were exactly the same. The little Linux tablet flew us
right down the righthand runway upon our approach and I showed the crew
my stored "track" on the chart after the crowd departed, even plotting
an unexpected course correction due to changes in air currents over
Georgia... "Look at how smooth that turn was!", the captain who flew it
commented on my track...(c;]

--
Global Warming and Creationism are to science what iPhone 4 is to
antennas...

Larry

Larry wrote:

"Can you bring that up into the cockpit?", he asked. I picked up the
tablet and GPS puck and followed him into fantasyland.

This was a while ago I take it? Most places seem to require the cockpit
door to be locked now. After all, you could have been a terrorist!

Andy
posted to rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising,sci.geo.satellite-nav

Andy Champ wrote in
. uk:

Larry wrote:

"Can you bring that up into the cockpit?", he asked. I picked up the
tablet and GPS puck and followed him into fantasyland.

This was a while ago I take it? Most places seem to require the cockpit
door to be locked now. After all, you could have been a terrorist!

Andy

Not that long ago. They locked the door behind us.

--
Just bought a new Smart car - Silver n Black....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obn9TJ6Xtc8

Larry