Len

Default Capn Nav Software Sounds Problem

Capn 6.1 alert and alarm sounds are enabled and work fine under WinMe
but there are no sounds at all under WinXP. All the Capn sounds .wav
files are in the Chart_Sounds diretory and each plays when icons are
individually clicked on the WinXP PC. But for some reason they don't
play when the pertinent events occur when Capn is running under WinXP.
The WinXP system sounds work fine, so this seems to be an application
problem with Capn. Any suggested fixes or things to try would be
welcome.
Thanks,
Len
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On 19 Jul 2004 13:40:27 -0700, (Len) wrote:

Capn 6.1 alert and alarm sounds are enabled and work fine under WinMe
but there are no sounds at all under WinXP. All the Capn sounds .wav
files are in the Chart_Sounds diretory and each plays when icons are
individually clicked on the WinXP PC. But for some reason they don't
play when the pertinent events occur when Capn is running under WinXP.
The WinXP system sounds work fine, so this seems to be an application
problem with Capn. Any suggested fixes or things to try would be
welcome.
Thanks,
Len

I don't use CAPN routinely, and my customers tend more toward Maptech
and Ozi, so I don't claim to be an authority. Still, FWIW, XP
supports legacy implementations of sounds, but just barely. An
application coded for sound under Win9x/ME will often have problems
under XP; one of mine did. I basically had to scrap the old sounds
code and rewrite using a full multimedia implementation.

I just asked a customer to run a quick test on CAPN 6.1.3 and he
observed the same problem you report, so you needn't feel like a lone
ranger. You could try updating the soundcard drivers on your PC, but
I doubt that will work. I'm afraid you'll have to contact the CAPN
support folks. Hope they don't just tell you to upgrade to the latest
version before they will help...

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Doug Dotson

Have you contacted The Capn folks? They are
usually very helpful.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Len" wrote in message
om...
Capn 6.1 alert and alarm sounds are enabled and work fine under WinMe
but there are no sounds at all under WinXP. All the Capn sounds .wav
files are in the Chart_Sounds diretory and each plays when icons are
individually clicked on the WinXP PC. But for some reason they don't
play when the pertinent events occur when Capn is running under WinXP.
The WinXP system sounds work fine, so this seems to be an application
problem with Capn. Any suggested fixes or things to try would be
welcome.
Thanks,
Len

Rosalie B.

I talked to them before I transferred Capn to my XP computer, and they
said that the Capn that I have for the ME computer will not work
properly under XP.

"Doug Dotson" wrote:

Have you contacted The Capn folks? They are
usually very helpful.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Len" wrote in message
. com...
Capn 6.1 alert and alarm sounds are enabled and work fine under WinMe
but there are no sounds at all under WinXP. All the Capn sounds .wav
files are in the Chart_Sounds diretory and each plays when icons are
individually clicked on the WinXP PC. But for some reason they don't
play when the pertinent events occur when Capn is running under WinXP.
The WinXP system sounds work fine, so this seems to be an application
problem with Capn. Any suggested fixes or things to try would be
welcome.
Thanks,
Len

grandma Rosalie
DiscountMaineSoftware.Com

Windows ME was the pits...saw a lot of weird errors that wouldnt happen on
the other OSs (Windows 98, XP, 2k, etc)

The sound bug is an oddity, dont recall seeing it on any of the test systems
I had when I worked there.

Paul

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
I talked to them before I transferred Capn to my XP computer, and they
said that the Capn that I have for the ME computer will not work
properly under XP.

Capn Nav Software Sounds Problem Len Cruising 4 August 8th 04 02:54 AM
Loss pf Power problem with Yanmar Engine Jerry Poore Cruising 3 June 26th 04 05:02 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
The Cap'n 6.1 interface? Steve Electronics 2 July 29th 03 07:28 PM