Mike

Default Navcenter 600

Does anyone out there have a Raymarine Navcenter 600? Mine has strange
behavior. It turns itself off after 20-30 minutes of operation. I don't see
a pattern. At first I thought there might be an "idle timeout" where it
turns itself off after a certain amount of inactivity. Today, at the dock, I
was programming some route info into it and after about 30 minutes it turned
itself off. It would not immediately turn back on. After a couple minutes,
it did come back on, but then turned itself off again after 20 minutes.

So, I presume this is not normal behavior, a timeout, or such. Perhaps it is
an overheating problem?

Anyone have any ideas about this phenomenon?

Thanks,

Mike
Water Wing
Beneteau 40CC

Lisa Collins

You are correct, this is not normal behavior for a Navcenter 600. Your
Navcenter 600 is essentially a Raychart 620. The fact that you can not
turn the unit back on after it shuts itself off indicates there is a
problem.

Some of the newer electronics will turn themselves off if they overheat but
the point is that a properly installed system should not overheat.

I would check with factory repair at Raymarine.

Lisa
www.ultimatepassage.com

Mike wrote:

Does anyone out there have a Raymarine Navcenter 600? Mine has strange
behavior. It turns itself off after 20-30 minutes of operation. I don't
see a pattern. At first I thought there might be an "idle timeout" where
it turns itself off after a certain amount of inactivity. Today, at the
dock, I was programming some route info into it and after about 30 minutes
it turned itself off. It would not immediately turn back on. After a
couple minutes, it did come back on, but then turned itself off again
after 20 minutes.

So, I presume this is not normal behavior, a timeout, or such. Perhaps it
is an overheating problem?

Anyone have any ideas about this phenomenon?

Thanks,

Mike
Water Wing
Beneteau 40CC

Mike

Thanks for the tips, Lisa.

Regards,

Mike

"Lisa Collins" wrote in message
You are correct, this is not normal behavior for a Navcenter 600. Your

Dick Evans

Mike,
Had the same problem, found out thru the Raymarine site that they
had a problem with the earlier software. I updated mine and it worked.

Dick

Mike

Dick, thanks for the tip.

Is the update available online and something I can do, or is it a trip to
the factory for the unit?

Thanks much,

Mike

"Dick Evans" wrote in message
Mike,
Had the same problem, found out thru the Raymarine site that they
had a problem with the earlier software. I updated mine and it worked.

Dick

Doug

I am not sure about the 600 but I was into a 500 last week and it had the
little standoff daughter board with a rechargeable memory cell on it. These
are in numerous Raytheon and other vendors products. Take a peek at yours
and see if the cell has started to leak. If so, get it to a qualified repair
center ASAP. These leaking cells will eventually eat up circuit board
traces, etc. Many an intermittent is caused by the corrosive action of the
leaking chemical on adjacent circuitry.
Doug K7ABX
www.rodgersmarine.com

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Dick Evans

"Mike" wrote in message
Dick, thanks for the tip.

Is the update available online and something I can do, or is it a trip to
the factory for the unit?

Thanks much,

Mike

.

Mike

I had to change the chip to update the software. This is how I
found a solution to the problem. Got this info from Raymarine site:

I recently bought a trade-in Raychart 620 (software version V1.01) and a new
112LP. The scale reduces over a period of time (with a beep, as if one were
doing it manually) until it reaches the smallest scale. It will then
occasionally go into a "suspend" mode where the screen goes blank but the
power is still on. I tried a different cartridge but the same problem
existed.

There was a minor anomaly with the software in an early version of the
Raychart 620 that could cause the same symptoms you describe. The software
code version is indicated in the "Copyright 1996 Raymarine" box, that
appears during boot-up. Raychart 620's fall into two categories: early units
that were simply called Raychart 620 and later units called Raychart 620+.
This is clearly indicated on the face of the unit. The latest software
version for RC620 is V5.01 and for the 620+, V2.00. If your machine
indicates any version lower than this, it should be updated by your local
dealer.

To update your Raychart 620, they would need to order part number
R38001-501, the software upgrade kit. It contains two EEPROM chips that must
be changed inside the machine. This will bring your 620 up to the latest
(and final) release build.

Dick

Mike

Dick, I appreciate all the info. My unit is an Autohelm Navcenter 600. I
believe it is the same as the Raymarine 620, so I presume the software
issues are the same. My software level is 1.02, and I presume that is a good
place to look for a solution.

Many thanks!

Mike

"Dick Evans" wrote in message

Mike

I had to change the chip to update the software. This is how

found a solution to the problem. Got this info from Raymarine site:

snip