Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Sir Spamalot

Default NiCAD Memory Effect

Hi all,

I've seen quite a few posts on this subject, and would like to add my
$.02.

About 10 years ago, I was involved in the design of a telemetry device
that used NiCADs for backup (up to 23 hrs.). I was deeply concerned
about the charge/discharge of these, so my boss, who was an ex-VP for
GE, tracked down the NiCAD guru at Gates. When asked about "memory",
this guru stated, unequivocally, that the "memory" effect was somewhat
of an urban legend, promulgated by the difficulties NiCADs presented
when initially developed somewhere around WW2. Modern battery
manufacturing designs and techniques in the last few decades or so
have totally eliminated the "memory" effect

Last I checked, one of these telemetry devices was still running OK,
even though it was installed over 8 years ago. Granted, I have no
idea if it's **ever** actually used it's battery backup, but I have to
assume that sometime in it's life it has been unplugged for at least a
little while.

No troll, no flame wars please. I'm just passing on some info.

SS

want to get USB flash memory serial number Heba Electronics 3 March 5th 04 06:28 AM
Memory problems Hans Electronics 16 February 23rd 04 03:43 PM
ICOM M11 delete memory channels? Scott Downey General 4 February 18th 04 12:29 AM
garmin 176 memory chip jake Electronics 3 January 3rd 04 04:05 PM
Coincidence or Cause and Effect? Jim Irvine General 1 November 29th 03 10:16 PM