John Wilson

Default Using car battery in boat for limited time (was:How much power is in a 100ah battery)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:14:01 -0300, "Norm Taylor"
wrote:

I have a friend that uses a car battery in his sailboat. He has no serious
problems. When the battery fails, he just removes it and takes it back for
warranty replacement. Because its not a deep cycle battery it actually has a
decent warranty. The shop does not know its in a boat, but think its in his
car.

Like it

Norm

"Jens K" wrote in message
. com...
As a very basic answer, a 100 amp/hour battery should provide 100 amps

for
an hour or 1 amp for 100 hours, in reality of course it would probably
melt if required to do the former. Then you need to factor in age, type

of
use, deep charge trickle or whatever. At best it is a guide only as to

the
possible maximum the battery can provide.

As I normally daysail I do not need a battery in my boat. But when I
occasionally cruise for a few days, I would like one, but only for the
lights. I do not have other power consuming devices in my boat.

So now the question is this: could I simply move my car's battery to
the boat? Let's say for a four days cruise during summer time. Will it
still start the car afterwards? I guess there will be the pleasant
side-effect that the car will be less likely to be stolen.

John Wilson

Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.