engsol

Default Test equipment re ssb antennaand grounds

In order to get a handle on the raging question as to what makes
a proper backstay antenna and the corersponding ground, I've
decided to make that a retirement project...just as soon as I get
a boat, which should be no longer than a month or two now!

What I think I need (help me out here) is:

1. Tracking RF generator with a DC vs freq output. It should be
"leveled"in that the RF output remains constant regardless of
the network being fed....probably needs at least 30 dB isolation?

2. Directional coupler with DC output. Shows VSWR/return loss
vs freq. (Cross check on 3 below)

3. Balanced bridge detector, with DC output. Shows the impedance
of the "system" vs freq. (Cross check on 2 above)

I plan to treat the antenna and ground as a "black box:, and characterize
it as such. A XY recorder should reveal quite a bit.

Of course ofther factors such as launch angle, propagation,etc won't
be factored in at first...but the calculations for those are pretty well known.

Anything I forgot?
Norm B
Martin

"engsol" wrote in message
[...]

If you want to make a start before you get your own boat, you are welcome to
use mine as a test bed. She is in Haslar Marina, Gosport and i shall shortly
be fitting an Icom 710 for the first time
Martin

engsol

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:11:55 +0100, "Martin" wrote:

"engsol" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks...but aren't you on the east coast? (west coast here)
Norm B

Meindert Sprang

wrote:
Thanks...but aren't you on the east coast? (west coast here)
Norm B

Haslar, Gosport is in the UK....

meindert

Doug

I use the MFJ-854 RF Current Meter,
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-854, to measure the
RF Current in the ground system. It has a split toroid clamp for 1/2 inch
coax but I am able to make it work with 3" ground foil. Good luck on your
project.
Doug K7ABX