Gordon Wedman

Default SSB power requirements

I noticed in the manual for my Icom M600 that they recommend transmitting
only with the engine running. I assumed this was to offset the high current
draw. I also noticed they show 13.6 volts as the supply voltage so now I'm
wondering if this is another reason for having the engine running? Will the
radio not transmit at full power if it doesn't get 13.6 volts? I figure my
4 T-105s can supply the current but they don't supply 13.6 volts.

Larry W4CSC

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in

I noticed in the manual for my Icom M600 that they recommend
transmitting only with the engine running. I assumed this was to
offset the high current draw. I also noticed they show 13.6 volts as
the supply voltage so now I'm wondering if this is another reason for
having the engine running? Will the radio not transmit at full power
if it doesn't get 13.6 volts? I figure my 4 T-105s can supply the
current but they don't supply 13.6 volts.

They are simply trying to avert the "less informed" consumer, those ones
wearing Bill Ingvall's "I'm Stupid" signs, from blaming Icom for the dead
single starter battery in "I'm Stupid"'s boat.....

Lionheart's M802 works ham DX for hours on its twin banks of 700AH golf
cart monsters with no engine running....even on digital modes. SSB needs
PEAK amperes off well connected batteries, but, unlike your FM
transmitter's continuous high-amperage drain, SSB's AVERAGE current drain
is quite low, indeed, without its transmitting a carrier....

Larry W4CSC
Doug Dotson

I can't say specifically about the M600, but I use my M710
off of batteries with no problems. It draws 25A or so when
transmitting but that is peak power when using SSB so the
average is much lower. If you are using digital modes like
PACTOR then the power drain is higher. Still, I can do
everything I need to do without running the engine.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
I noticed in the manual for my Icom M600 that they recommend transmitting
only with the engine running. I assumed this was to offset the high

current
draw. I also noticed they show 13.6 volts as the supply voltage so now

I'm
wondering if this is another reason for having the engine running? Will

the
radio not transmit at full power if it doesn't get 13.6 volts? I figure

my
4 T-105s can supply the current but they don't supply 13.6 volts.

Gordon Wedman

Well I have to apologize here for not reading further in the manual. In
Technical Specifications the power requirement is given as 13.6 volts +/-
15%. That makes 12.6 volts perfectly adequate. Thanks for the comments on
average power requirement while transmitting. Learned something there.

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

[...]

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Cruising 21 April 3rd 04 04:24 PM
How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM