terry markovich

Default epirb testing

I have developed a 406mhz epirb tester, currently for the aviation elt
market. I am curious about the demand in the marine market?

Terry
Vicci

lots of uscg locations have free gov't testing of 406 epirbs - why
would I want to buy/own my own tester?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:49:04 GMT, terry markovich
wrote:

I have developed a 406mhz epirb tester, currently for the aviation elt
market. I am curious about the demand in the marine market?

Terry

Gordon Wedman

Just read the other day that newer EPIRBS have a test frequency that you can
pick up on your FM radio, something like 99.5 MHz. You tune the radio to
that frequency, switch the EPIRB to "test" and you should hear an
oscillating tone if its working properly. Don't know if this is true or
not.

I thought many older EPIRBS had a "test" function that used an LED? Maybe
this just was a test for the battery?

"terry markovich" wrote in message
news
I have developed a 406mhz epirb tester, currently for the aviation elt
market. I am curious about the demand in the marine market?

Terry

terry markovich

Sorry I am late replying, but yes, it tests ALL protocols including MMSI.
It has a built in dummy load for a direct connection.

I suppose that the people interested in this product would be shops that
work on commercial vessels, since SOLAS reg IV/15.9 requires annual
verification of the 406 mhz beacon ID.

I do not really know the marine market though, I have approached a few
marine electronic distributors and they had no interest. I am not sure
how the shops that would need this get their test equipment.

Terry

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:54:33 +0000, Doug wrote:

What kind of test does it perform? Does it read MMSI? Does it have any
kind of dummy load for bench servicing of EPIRBs?

Doug K7ABX

"terry markovich" wrote in message
news
I have developed a 406mhz epirb tester, currently for the aviation elt
market. I am curious about the demand in the marine market?

Terry

Gary Schafer

How do you connect the epirb to the dummy load?

Regards
Gary

On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:41:14 GMT, terry markovich
wrote:

[...]

terry markovich

The tester has a range of +36 dbm to -60 dbm, so anything from a direct
connection (such as an aviation beacon has) to a radiated signal works.
An RF box or bag works well, and for epirbs that transmit during self
test, a self test transmission will be picked up by a whip antenna.

Terry

wrote:

Sorry I am late replying, but yes, it tests ALL protocols including MMSI.
It has a built in dummy load for a direct connection.

I suppose that the people interested in this product would be shops that
work on commercial vessels, since SOLAS reg IV/15.9 requires annual
verification of the 406 mhz beacon ID.

I do not really know the marine market though, I have approached a few
marine electronic distributors and they had no interest. I am not sure
how the shops that would need this get their test equipment.

Terry

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:54:33 +0000, Doug wrote:

What kind of test does it perform? Does it read MMSI? Does it have any
kind of dummy load for bench servicing of EPIRBs?

Doug K7ABX

"terry markovich" wrote in message
news I have developed a 406mhz epirb tester, currently for the aviation elt
market. I am curious about the demand in the marine market?

Terry

Random hammer testing Fred Boat Building 1 May 20th 04 02:27 PM
FS: EPIRB in MA cohenandy Electronics 0 March 1st 04 01:16 PM
FS: EPIRB IN MA cohenandy Electronics 0 February 26th 04 03:46 PM
Testing Betteries Rick & Linda Bernard Cruising 40 January 29th 04 03:02 AM