Default Hooking up GPS to DSC vhf radio

I'm installing a Garmin 76S gps on my boat and am looking to buy a vhf
radio. Do you have to buy a wiring harness for the vhf radio to hook
up the gps signal to the radio?

Steve

My Standard Horizon DSC model just had a screw type terminal strip on the
back. I ran an ordinary 2 conductor wire between it and a terminal strip
'hub' that the GPS is connected to. Works fine.

However, since I'm going to be needing to supply the NMEA 0183 to about 4 or
5 pieces of equipment, I expect I'm going th have to install a Multiplexor..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Chuck Tribolet

Usually they come with a wiring harness. The hard part is figuring out
which wire to attach to which.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Steve" wrote in message ...
My Standard Horizon DSC model just had a screw type terminal strip on the
back. I ran an ordinary 2 conductor wire between it and a terminal strip
'hub' that the GPS is connected to. Works fine.

However, since I'm going to be needing to supply the NMEA 0183 to about 4 or
5 pieces of equipment, I expect I'm going th have to install a Multiplexor..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jack Painter

wrote in message
I'm installing a Garmin 76S gps on my boat and am looking to buy a vhf
radio. Do you have to buy a wiring harness for the vhf radio to hook
up the gps signal to the radio?

All new VHF radios come with a harness for external speaker and GPS-to-DSC.
It will be easy to find the electrical mate for that plug and connect it to
your GPS using two of the four wires on the radio harness, in the unlucky
event that the Garmin harness doesn't match the radio's.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach

brian clode

http://www.tapr.org/~kh2z/Waypoint/
Lots of info on gps to radio and pc on this site including pinouts for
Garmin gps
Brian
wrote in message
I'm installing a Garmin 76S gps on my boat and am looking to buy a vhf
radio. Do you have to buy a wiring harness for the vhf radio to hook
up the gps signal to the radio?

Steve

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Usually they come with a wiring harness. The hard part is figuring out
which wire to attach to which.

--

Your correct and I was thinking of a different model VHF.

I check mine when I was on the boat and found that I did have a DIN plug
with a couple feet of cable. Other end was 'raw'. Since that wasn't long
enough to reach my GPS (hub), I wired it into a terminal strip and then ran
two conductor wire to the hub.

This DIN plug also had the remote speaker, hailer and something else, I
don't remember. (And it's only been 6 weeks since I installed it.)

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jralbert

Both the GPS and the radio should come with appropriate plugs. The radio mfr's
plug will go into their unit and the Garmin plug will go into theirs. The
other end of the respective plugs should be a "pigtail" so you can tie together
inmput and output. That is, the output of the GPS ties to the input of the
radio.

That, at least, is how my Standard Horizon and (old) Garmin link.
Joel Albert
Potomac, MD
))