Phil

Default Fitting a Raymarine C80

I'm trying to fit a C80 to my sailing yacht. I want it fitted at the
binnacle, which is a Whitlock Classic, with a standard 12 inch grab
rail. It is proving to be a real headache because of the depth of the
instrument, I can't find an appropriate instrument pod. I want to fit
the C80 + an ST60 type instrument. It can't be such an unusual request

The closest I have so far is a lewmar radar multipod, extended grab
rail and butcher the raymarine ferrules so that it fits.
Alternatively, I could make a custom pod (out of teak?).

Has anyone else solved it?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Incidently, navigating around my living room, the instrument
functionality looks great. I was particularly impressed when I saw
the vector function, which should graphicaly show COG/SOG,
heading/speed, wind and tide.

I am hopeful that a software upgrade will allow the databoxes to
display graphical data in the future. At the moment, the data is
"numeric" as selected from a menu, that only has the single "numeric"
option.

Phil
Rusty O

Have you looked at the NavPod line from Ocean Equipment? They have several
chartplotter pods to fit the Whitlock 12 inch spacing. I didn't see one
specifically pre-cut for your plotter but they do have several uncut models.
If they don't have one to fit, I'm sure they will shortly. Give them a call
and ask.

Rusty O

Phil

"Rusty O" wrote in message link.net...
Have you looked at the NavPod line from Ocean Equipment? They have several
chartplotter pods to fit the Whitlock 12 inch spacing. I didn't see one
specifically pre-cut for your plotter but they do have several uncut models.
If they don't have one to fit, I'm sure they will shortly. Give them a call
and ask.

Rusty O

Thanks Rusty.
Originally I had ordered a NavPod 580-RP270, which should have given
me the frontal area I required. However the dealer called and said
the C80 wouldn't fit. He mentioned the pods screws, but I think that
the pod would also have been too shallow (5").

The C80 power cable (and I think the radar cables) come straight out
of the back of the unit. This means that a considerable clearance is
required just for cabling. I wonder if Raymarine will do some 90
degree elbow joints to ease the situation.

Phil
Phil

Latest news following a dialogue with Raymarine support people:

snip
I called a Rep for Navpod they are coming out with a C-80 pod which
will be available mid-April. The part numbers are as
follows:

CP-10RC Pre-cut 9-1/2" pedestal guard list $340.00
CP-20RC Pre-cut 12" pedestal guard list $340.00
(GrandPrix)GP1061 Pre-cut 9-1/2" pedestal guard list $500.00
snip

Phil