JR Minkel

Default battery failure stories wanted for Popular Science (cross post)

I apologize if you've seen this query anywhere else, but I have a
tough work assignment and am trying to reach as many people as
possible. I'm a freelance writer searching on behalf of Popular
Science for first-person accounts of dramatically frustrating battery
failures in portable electronics--cell or sat phones, CBs, laptops,
GPS monitors, etc. We thought one category might be people lost at sea
because a battery died. To qualify, the battery must have died of
"natural" causes (as in, not exploding) in some portable electronic
device (as in, not the boat's battery) at an extremely inopportune
moment. If you have a story like that, please email me directly at
jrm@naswxxxorg (replace the triply repeated letter with a period). My
deadline is this Monday March 22nd, but I'll take them up to a few
days after. Please feel free to forward this to friends and
colleagues.

Thanks,
JR
Jack Painter

"JR Minkel" wrote
Pop Science for first-person accounts of dramatically frustrating battery
failures in portable electronics--cell or sat phones, CBs, laptops,
GPS monitors, etc. We thought one category might be people lost at sea
because a battery died. To qualify, the battery must have died of
"natural" causes (as in, not exploding) in some portable electronic
device (as in, not the boat's battery) at an extremely inopportune
moment. If you have a story like that, please email me directly at
jrm@naswxxxorg (replace the triply repeated letter with a period). My
deadline is this Monday March 22nd, but I'll take them up to a few
days after. Please feel free to forward this to friends and
colleagues.

Horror-stories-at-sea because of hand held equipment battery-failure is a
total non-starter. The opposite is the rule, where fixed equipment fails due
to fire, immersion, main battery failure, engine failure, etc., and the
hand-held battery-powered equipment came to the rescue.

The whole premise of the story-line appears to be frivoulous in nature, to
imply that anyone's primary safety or ability to navigate, cruise/sail/fish,
auto-tour, etc. was based on the sole performance of a portable battery.
That is unless you're trolling for stories more likely found in the Enquirer
than Popular Science..

Jack
USCG Auxiliary, Virginia Beach, VA

William G. Andersen

Amen, Jack.
If there are any stories, they will only point out that the person didn't
plan and shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.
Electronics save the day, they don't ruin it.
I had a friend tell me of a several day seminar he attended on celestial
navigation and the use of a sextant. The best lesson he learned is that he
should use the beautiful wooden case for his sextant to carry lots of extra
AA batteries for his backup handheld GPS.

Bill, also USCG Aux, San Diego, CA

"Jack Painter" wrote in message
[...]

Dennis Pogson

William G. Andersen wrote:
[...]

As a sailing electronics nutter, I have been repeatedly told by
fellow-posters to alt.uk.sailing NG that they don't rely on electronics, and
that the probability of power failure lurks in every boat, therefore they
only use traditional methods of navigation, sextants, rulers, etc., with
some electronics backup. GPS? Rumour has it that the Yanks are going to turn
it off any time soon! What complete bull***t!

Despite my inviting others to let us have stories of such catastrophies,
none have yet come forward, and I must conclude that you and I are right,
and everyone else (in the UK) is out of step!

Dennis.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
Is it my battery or alternator that let me down? Ree-Yees General 16 May 7th 04 12:28 AM
Gotta fit this boat in garage, 3" to spare in width. Doable as a practical matter? Mitchell Gossman General 11 February 3rd 04 06:21 AM
info wanted on unique battery to cable adapter mitch Cruising 4 January 23rd 04 04:57 AM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM